Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-12-04 22:42:10

YIWaite

Arm-Bow

My daughter who has an intellectual disability (making her smarter than lots of us in many ways) called her elbow an arm-bow for many years. Pretty!

#2 2006-12-08 21:46:28

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: Arm-Bow

That’s very cute! I went looking for it online to see if anyone else had come up with it, but my search was vexed by the fact that there’s apparently a (?) type of archery bow called an “armbow.” But I did find one interesting instance of what I think is the same word:

Then it was bedtime, DS4 ( I’ll have find out good nicknames for both of them!) laid in his bed and talked about his on anatomy “this is my armbow, this is my throat…” and then suddenly closed his eyes for twenty seconds, opend them again and said ” I fell asleep! Good night mom!”
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Malgomaj/page2/

The writer is a Swedish mom, and I presume that she’s giving us an English translation of her child’s speech. The Swedish word for elbow is “armbage” (I’m leaving off a crucial diacritic mark—the little circle over the second a—since I don’t know how to make it here)—and “bage” is the Swedish word for “bow.” So if you’re Swedish and don’t know the English word “elbow,” “armbow” is a pretty good guess. Kinda cool that two people independently invented the same word thousands of miles apart.

#3 2006-12-08 22:10:50

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Arm-Bow

Isn’t there a childrens’ song that goes something like: “The arm bone’s connected to the hand bone…”? I wonder if the child mentioned in the first post might have heard the song and maybe even blended the words “arm bone” with “elbow” to get “arm bow.” Just a wild thought.

Board footer