Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2006-12-09 17:36:45

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

youthamism/euthamism for euphemism

euphemism – 2,750,000 ghits
youthamism – 55 ghits
euthamism – 433 ghits

Overheard in the wild, though which of the latter two was meant I have no way of knowing.

euphemism
/yoofmiz’m/ • noun a mild or less direct word substituted for one that is harsh or blunt when referring to something unpleasant or embarrassing. (Shorter Oxford Dictionary)

‘Youthamism’ is another example of hyper-correction of the ff/th I keep rattling on about – ‘youth’ is, for many, pronounced as ‘yoof’.

Hello Cupcake Mall, interesting name…quite fancy a cupcake now actually (hope that’s not a youthamism for something rude). ...
profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=15696214 – 131k – Cached

... i encouraged him to order the fish… after the last time he ordered the fish telling him to order the fish is now a youthamism for asking him to choke. ...
antipathy.diaryland.com/20050519.html – 4k – Supplemental Result – Cached –

The services sector is so a youthamism for the decline of labour rights and the devaluation of certain types of labour as is financially convenient to large …
antipathy.diaryland.com/workingman.html – 9k – Supplemental Result – Cached

‘Euthamism’ is a rather different variant involving perhaps the word ‘euthanasia’, which some may consider to be itself a euphemism. Here are some examples:

Then net the fish and gently place him in the bucket. The fish dont feel a thing and it’s quick. Best way of euthamism in my opinion. ...
www.plantedtank.net/forums/fish/28712-m … ape-2.html – 69k – Supplemental Result – Cached –

Collatoral damage is simply a euthamism, which essentially designates the same reference, which is also point toward by the derogatory label, terrorism. ...
midwestpopulistparty.org/blog/index.php?paged=2 – 63k – Cached

Anyone rember when the word youth became a euthamism for thug and criminal? ...
forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=464954 – 67k – Supplemental Result – Cached –

As the world’s largest user of beef, the euthamism for killing cows, they are responsible for the slaughter of hundreds of thousands of cows per year. ...
indymedia.org.nz/newswire/display/22101/index.php – 44k – Supplemental Result – Cached

We might dress it up as ‘ethnic cleansing,’ ‘re-settlement’ or any other euthamism we care to invent, but at the end of the day its still genocide and it …
forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60412&page=5 – 174k – Supplemental Result – Cached -

Board footer