Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-12-11 11:41:37

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'vicious cycle' for 'vicious circle'

vicious cycle – 1,160,000 ghits
vicious circle – 1,340,000 ghits

I’m not at all sure about this one but I have noticed the use of “vicious cycle” only quite recently and feel it may be an eggcorn, though not a particularly striking one. If it is, it’s doing almost as well as the original despite, for me at least, seeming glaringly wrong – it conjures images of a wild bicycle intent on damaging anyone foolish enough to try to mount it.

#2 2006-12-11 14:37:39

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: 'vicious cycle' for 'vicious circle'

Peter, I think both terms (vicious cycle, vicious circle) are legitimate terms. The latter is seen as an entry in many/most dictionaries. And, I seem to recall hearing the former as a Macroeconomic concept relating consumer expectation and economic growth. I would just note that “cycle” adequately describes the phenomenon as there is causality between two factors.

Elsewhere on the Eggcorn forum you’ll find discussions of “viscous” circle and related mis-shapings. I don’t know that they turned out to be very fruitful.

Board footer