Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2006-12-13 19:37:54

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

"jumping at the bit" for "champing/chomping/chopping at the bit"

Pat posted an interesting ‘champing/chomping/chopping’ piece on 20th Feb 2006 which I would ‘smoosh’ if I could, and knew fully what it meant. I found it while checking this ‘jumping’ variant, which seems pretty horsey to me. For what it’s worth, here it is:
“jumping at the bit” – 260 ghits

Microsoft has released Beta 2 of Windows Vista, and everyone is jumping at the bit to get their hands on it, so much so that people have been having …
www.gadget.ca/Windows-Vista-Beta-2-Torrented-008305.php – 20k – Cached

Your Senate has already unanimously passed a bill to tear this right out, and your assembly is jumping at the bit to try to change it right now, ...
transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0605/11/ng.01.html – 64k – Cached

Well my parents got a divorce and not long after that I was jumping at the bit to get my lip pierced. I begged and begged my mom to take me but she would …
www.bmezine.com/pierce/05-lips/A50527/lipthepi.html – 8k – Cached -

#2 2006-12-28 00:55:09

furby100

Re: "jumping at the bit" for "champing/chomping/chopping at the bit"

This is probably because people have no idea what “the bit” being referred to is, as horses are no longer a common means of transportation.

Board footer