Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2005-12-15 05:22:34

fractalid

"Heartworming" for "Heartwarming"

On a whim today I googled “a heartworming tale” (and later, similar) and was only mildly surprised to find a number of hits that appear to be in earnest, eg:

“A heartworming tale of a country boy and two dogs.” from a comment about a movie version of Where the Red Fern Grows.

“Altogether, this is a heartworming story that any fantasy fan will not want to miss.” from a student’s review of Eragon by Christopher Paolini.

“He endeavors to make it a heartworming and meaningful experience.” from a Rabbi’s page about circumcision.

I expect this is influenced by another phrase.

#2 2005-12-15 05:38:28

Nora

Re: "Heartworming" for "Heartwarming"

Brilliant, I must say. Yet another example of how people neither hear nor read what they are saying!

#3 2005-12-15 07:02:33

benevides

Re: "Heartworming" for "Heartwarming"

“A heartworming tale of a country boy and two dogs” could possibly be a pun, considering that “heartworms” are a common canine affliction.

Board footer