Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-12-24 23:50:00

Fishbait2
Eggcornista
Website

"plaintiff" for "plaintive"

“Then, from the south came the plaintiff cry of a locomotive whistle. . . . ” From a website about the Civil War Andrews’ Raid or Great Locomotive Chase.

I suppose this is only dubiously an eggcorn, since “plaintive” and “plaintiff” originate in the same Old French term—”plaintif” meaning “complaining” or “one who complains.” Still, the senses of the two words are so distinct nowadays that I can’t imagine what the writer was thinking.

I also have an idea that this has been posted before, but it didn’t show up in a search.

David

#2 2006-12-27 19:04:53

furby100

Re: "plaintiff" for "plaintive"

I think this is a malapropism rather than an eggcorn, unless someone is relating the cry of a locomotive whistle to someone initiating a lawsuit.

Board footer