Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2005-12-19 16:33:53

klakritz
Eggcornista

'ceiling wax' for 'sealing wax'

Because ceilings need to be sealed against moisture, this is a natural substitution. About 700 ghits:

Because biology can do good work with string and ceiling wax it has rarely been properly funded.
www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s100456.htm

Pierre Rovani gave it 93 points in the Wine Advocate with the following notes, “Black pepper, ceiling wax, spices, and toast are found in the nose…
www.thecorkscrew.com/new.cfm

I had that record too and I spend a large portion of my childhood trying to imagine what ceiling wax was too.
forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums/ a/tpc/f/7661041353/m/5951011763

This organisation, you probably worked out, is basically made with shoestring, ceiling wax and bits of orange peel. We do miracles.
news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/in_depth/ programmes/2001/bnp_special/pr_machine/default.stm

NPR : Newly Found Beethoven Manuscript to Be Auctioned The red stains that look like lipstick are actually ceiling wax, which he used to paste in longer corrections.
www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4957646

Explore the Asian custom of using ceiling wax and a stamp or chock to seal a document.
carlos.emory.edu/ODYSSEY/Teachers/ll/llaineact.html

The ceiling wax certifies that this is an official beckoning, a calling if you will, to the cause of what causes us.
www.subgenius.com/subg-digest/v5/0109.html

There are many marijuana vaporizer designs, many are messy, blu-tac and ceiling wax jobs with no real structure, functionality or style.
www.marijuanavaporizer.com/marijuana/ How-to-make-a-marijuana-vaporizer.htm

#2 2017-08-12 01:21:08

RomanHeber

Re: 'ceiling wax' for 'sealing wax'

Ceiling wax will be helpful for you for a limited period of time so it’s our duty to make it waterproof again. Otherwise water leakage from the ceilings can bring a major loss one day to your home. So when see such leaks call the [url=http://www.leakmastersusa.com/north-charleston-sc-waterproofing/]waterproofing contractor[/url] immediately to fix those leaks.

#3 2017-08-14 19:02:29

yanogator
Eggcornista

Re: 'ceiling wax' for 'sealing wax'

I’m guessing the authors of these examples has no idea what sealing wax is, in which case it makes a good eggcorn. I guess those who know what it’s for have no trouble spelling it correctly.

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

Board footer