Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-01-24 10:57:32

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'at a low web' for 'at a low ebb'

at a low ebb – 166,000 ghits
at a low web – 18 ghits

I imagine a high web might catch more flies and is therefore preferable to a low web but I find it hard to believe that those using this expression are deliberately employing spidery metaphors. The example of Robert the Bruce seems highly unlikely too; I can’t account for it, but it is mildly interesting so I thought I’d post it anyway…

Zimbabwe are likely to be at a low web after a humiliating seven-wicket defeat against the Kenyans ended their hopes of reaching the last four. ...
www.tribuneindia.com/2003/20030315/sports.htm – 83k – Cached

My editing skills are at a low web this foggy, soggy night, but you could send me this um, Christmas story in either an email or text—if you want to. ...
eamonroe.blogspot.com/2006/12/once-upon-midnight-clear-christmas.html – 58k – Cached

At this point they were at a low web, and the insurgency was still small enough that it was easy for the Administration to deny there was a real insurgency. ...
academic.umf.maine.edu/~erb/200607/1eur7.htm – 24k – Cached

trade were at a low web and it made sense to think of national economies that. corresponded to political entities. And political theories tended to speak …
www.prijsvandeuitsluiting.nl/19okt/vers … 191004.pdf

Last edited by Peter Forster (2007-01-24 11:48:05)

Board footer