Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-11-26 21:51:32

jorkel
Eggcornista

In the long HALL (haul)

Google counts on Nov. 26 2006
190,000 “in the long haul”
??? “in the long hall”
(Google counts don’t seem to quantify this potential eggcorn since so few usages are relevant).

Most of us are familiar with the term “in the long haul.” It’s possible that some may assume the idiom to be “in the long hall” and envision a hallway as the figurative path that events will take.

Examples:

Did You Vote Yet? | Alliance for a Better CaliforniaOften times people do what is convenient NOW instead of waht will benefit us in the long hall. What’s popular and what’s right is often times different. ...
www.betterca.com/node/2196 – 24k – Cached – Similar pages

Why Citizen Movements Are Citizen Driven | Public KnowledgeAnd if we are going to win this fight in the long hall, we need to remember that. So next time anyone says network neutrality is just a fight between the …
www.publicknowledge.org/node/703 – 18k – Cached – Similar pages

Boise Neighborhood Association – Boise VoiceStorm water management, exploring gray water and photalvotaics, as well as life cycle of building and effects on the community in the long hall. ...
boisevoice.org/reference/minutes/gmdec05.html – 9k – Cached – Similar pages

Where Are Their Priorities? – Topic Powered by eve communityOfficers and career Soldiers will also save money in the long hall by not having to purchase multiple dress uniforms. None of the money that is going …
forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9721989076/m/2350006180001 – Similar pages

building a greenhouse – Do you love plants I have to say, I have …Find out how much building a greenhouse would cost you in the long hall. Furthermore, find out how much work is involved in building a greenhouse of your …
www.yourdictionary.com/business_profile … se-03.html – 9k – Cached – Similar pages

Coffee Shop Business – CBR GateThis will really determine how well your coffee shop business will do in the long hall. They don’t say location, location, location for nothing. ...
www.cbrgate.com/business/tips/coffee_shop_business/ – Similar pages

i need to information – WH Support Community for WomenAlot of hands on training, it is something that you will be in the long hall for. A child with ADHD will have a hard time making friends as they are …
www.womens-health.com/boards/disorders/ … ation.html – 73k – Cached – Similar pages

#2 2007-01-29 00:49:53

Fishbait2
Eggcornista
Website

Re: In the long HALL (haul)

I just noticed this post, and was struck by it—because I can’t recall hearing anyone say “in the long haul.” I’ve always thought the expression was “for the long haul,” which gets 1,220,000 g-hits.

“In the long haul” sounds to me like a mash-up of “for the long haul” and “in the long run,” which don’t mean quite the same thing. “I’m in it for the long haul—no matter what it takes,” versus “In the long run, we’re all dead.” The first implies effort; the second, simple duration. The authors of your citations all seem to mean “in the long run.” Thoughts, anyone?

#3 2022-05-17 11:49:14

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

It took a while, 15 years or so, but finally I have a thought. I think David Fishbait2 is completely correct. I also think it a pity that Joe ‘jorkel’ and David Fishbait1 and 2 no longer contribute to the forum.

What really brought me here was ‘the long hole’, which I think may be a golfing expression indicating a particularly challenging task.

He is simply saying here is a woman who over the long hole did all of these things like in verse 13, the kids were younger. She is busy cooking, weaving, ...

— “trendy” you might over the long-hole gain a little bit more trust from people, that`s my take on it.

He fights the invisible bonds and forces Ana to see that he is in it for the long hole.

I feel this mob are legit and are in it for the long hole. I was treated extremly well and that’s what prompted me to leave this update.

Last edited by Peter Forster (2022-05-17 11:53:39)

#4 2022-05-17 17:58:08

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

“in for the long haul” and “over the long haul” are the two usages that I most recognize. Do I/we ever say “for the long haul” without saying “in” before that? (I think we probably do, but am not coming up with a good example. “Buckle up for the long haul” doesn’t work as well for me as “buckle in for the long haul”. “Settle down for the long haul” ?I guess that’s pretty good.)
The long hall and the long hole are both wonderful.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer