Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-02-10 04:49:32

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'heckles' for 'hackles'

heckles up – 2020 ghits
heckles raised – 256 ghits
raised the heckles – 190 ghits

You don’t need to have your hackles up to heckle, though it might help; any such heckling is particularly successful if it raises the hackles of its recipient – there does seem to be a fair bit of heckle/hackle confusion here, and much of it seems eggcornish…

Because of its huge popularity with the all-important violence-seeking teenage audience, “Bill” raised the heckles of pundits who worried about the fate of …
www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/search/art … id=2043252 – 34k – Cached

This year they have burst out of the kennel with their heckles raised and their teeth bared and are now amongst the leading pack in the pre-season ANZAC Cup …
www.echonews.com/1112/sports.html – 35k – Cached

Now I can sense a lot of people getting their heckles up at me now. Some of you are thinking, “But Rob, how can it be a booking? He either elbowed him, ...
www.football365.com/referee365/0,17033, … 84,00.html – 68k – Cached

Wow, I knew that there were plenty of men who were particularly defensive of patriarchy and who get their heckles up at the merest mention of feminism, ...
nopod.blogspot.com/2007/01/online-opinion-commenters.html – 72k – Cached

Board footer