Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-02-25 17:44:04

jorkel
Eggcornista

turnSTYLE (-stile)

Google counts on Feb 25, 2007:
925,000 Turnstile
220,000 Turnstyle
Analysis by Joe Krozel

A turnstile is a people-metering gate with a turning arm. “Turnstyle” might be an eggcorn if the utterer views the device as a style of turn (so to speak). Unfortunately, there are two difficulties: First, it could be just a case of misspelling, and second “style” derives from ME stile, so there may be common etymology. Even so, the modern sense of stile—as a stair or a step—is far different from the sense invoked here, i.e., a fashion or mode.

Examples:

Fare Collection in BostonThe turnstyle was covered by a wood panel above and by wood signs (“Enter … On the other side of the entry to the turnstyle was the coin mechanism, ...
world.nycsubway.org/us/boston/bostonfare.html – 9k – Cached – Similar pages

BadTransitAfter about 20 seconds of trying to force my monthly pass in the slot and banging on the turnstyle, a MBTA ambassador put my pass in the turnstyle next to …
www.badtransit.com/index.php?/site/comm … _surprise/ – 39k – Cached – Similar pages

Offline operations of production lines, Worksmart Systems modular …The turnstyle locks in 90-degree quadrants by means of a pneumatic … A friction brake prevents carts on the turnstyle from rolling off the station while …
www.worksmartsystems.com/Offline_Operations.html – 18k – Cached – Similar pages

TITLE: Finite state machine parsing RESPONSE: rmartin@rcmcon.com …The Pass event indicates that someone has “passed through” the turnstyle. There are also four behaviors that the machine invokes. It can lock the turnstyle, ...
cpptips.hyperformix.com/cpptips/fsm.txt – 5k – Cached – Similar pages

The History of TLSShe froze, so I grabbed my phone and pulled up the camera function, hopped over the turnstyle, and ran out the door. I stood there for a sec, ...
www.top-law-schools.com/forums/tls4192-225.html – 61k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer