Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-03-10 11:52:01

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

dimentia/dimensia for dementia

dimentia 87,200 ghits
dimensia 42,900 ghits

I heard ‘dementia’ pronounced with the first syllable rhyming with ‘high’ on a BBC radio station recently. The prefix ‘di-’ can mean ‘two’ and those caring for people afflicted with senile dementia often remark upon periods of perfect recall contrasting with complete loss of any recent memory. ‘Dimensia’ too can be viewed eggcornishly with respect to ‘dementia’ – the unfortunate sufferer could be regarded as periodically entering another dimension perhaps?

Alzheimer or dimentia treatment related to technology especially game … Alzheimer or dimentia treatment related to technology especially game …
www.bioedonline.org/forums/messageview.cfm?thread=3260 – 20k – Cached

5 answers – Yahoo! Answers – Dimentia & Alzheimer’s, what is the difference??? What is the cure, how to avoid??? How old are victims (range.
answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070224091136AA1mUkm – 81k – Cached

I have never dealt with Alzheimer’s, but I have with senile dimensia. The symtoms are down to a T. There is nothing tougher for family. JustinTime …
www.chiefscoalition.com/Forums/lofivers … 44527.html – 54k – Supplemental Result – Cached

... George III began to fall victim to dimensia and was kept in doors. ... King George for the monarch he had been rather than the senile old man he had become.
www.geocities.com/josephiicrisp/George3.html – 7k – Cached

#2 2014-02-02 01:06:43

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: dimentia/dimensia for dementia

It seems likely to me that some folks might pronounce it like “dim-mensha”, and for them there could be an eggcornish meaning connection with “dim” as in “dim-witted”. Here are some of at least 50 examples I found online, though it’s anybody’s guess how these perps would actually pronounce the word, and whether they have that meaning connection in mind.

Need suggestions for my 90 year old Dad is suffering from Dimentia and its getting worse day by day.
medical site

John “Bill” Samples of Valley Springs, passed away on January 30, 2014 in San Andreas of heart failure and dimentia. He was 89.
online newspaper

Donna was a volunteer at St Joseph’s Manor, an old age home, and was a special friend of Catherine, who was eventually transferred to the Dimentia Unit.
blog

Board footer