Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-03-14 11:22:03

larco

Memorized for Mesmerized

This is from an online newsletter I got this morning from a bottle supply company. Larry

“A few hours ago I was sitting on the deck of the largest American chartered cruise ship, “The Pride of Hawaii.” I was memorized as the ship slowly cruised past the beautiful Napoli coast of Kauai.”

Also, his ‘Napoli’ coast, transposed from the Mediterranean to the Pacific is actually the Napali Coast. And this newsletter was from the CEO of the company!

#2 2007-03-14 12:32:00

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: Memorized for Mesmerized

This turns out to be really common. I googled “I was memorized” after seeing your post, and got 36,000 raw hits; I looked at the first 30 or so, and they’re almost all examples of the substitution you highlighted.

Despite its wide occurrence, this use of “memorized” hasn’t yet made its way into Paul Brians’ very useful “Common Errors in English” website (which is here: http://wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html#m).

Eggcorn or malaprop? “To memorize” is so common that you have to assume that nearly everyone using it is aware of its usual meaning, but it’s really hard for me to believe that these writers are consciously making a connection between the typical meaning and this particular usage. I think it’s a malaprop. But there is a weird sort of poetic logic in the idea that a landscape that mesmerizes you is one that will hold you in its own memory.

(Incidentally, Prof. Brians insists on his website that one should write “Web site” or—less formally—“Website.” I respectfully disagree.)

Board footer