Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-03-17 15:10:34

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

sea-mistress for seamstress

Once upon a time I worked in a nautical school; walls were bulkheads, toilets were heads, time was punctuated by bugles. It was an overwhelmingly male environment. The only female element was the seamstress – a lady who repaired uniforms with needle and thread but also doubled as matron, mother-substitute, emotional refuge etc. I suppose it must have been the proximity of the sea, the shared hallucination that we were aboard a ship, but no matter how I tried I couldn’t convince the boys that the seamstress was not the ‘sea-mistress’, and eventually I ceased the struggle and accepted their interpretation – it made more sense than mine. I have no citations, no corroborative evidence, I could google all night but it would be fruitless. There must be many such eggcorns, local, one-off, flesh-in-the-pan (191 ghits!) but their non-universal nature should not deter us from submitting them to the forum – someone, somewhere might be able to support and confirm usage?

#2 2007-03-17 15:39:54

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: sea-mistress for seamstress

I would hope that anyone who had an eggcornish tale as charming and well written as this would post it—no matter what corroboration was available.

A nautical school? Peter, if you ever write a memoir, please tell us—I’d bet it would be a pleasure to read.

#3 2007-03-19 14:57:07

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: sea-mistress for seamstress

Peter! What an outstanding tale! And you’ve written it with such style! You need to write it all up as a novel (punctuated with your scholarly eggcorns if need be). Do you have any idea of how compelling your style is?

Board footer