Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-04-03 21:10:43

jorkel
Eggcornista

WONDER around (wander)

Google counts on Apr. 3, 2007
1,200,000 “wander around”
144,000 “wonder around”

The substitution of “wonder around” for “wander around” seems more of an innovation than an eggcorn to me because it’s inconceivable that someone would not know the latter expression. Besides, a person can wonder while they wander, and perhaps the emphasis on the former is intended. (Or, is it possible that there is a regional dialect at play here which leads to a misspelling?) If someone really believes this could be an eggcorn, please make a case.

An independent look at The World.: 01/02/2005 – 01/09/2005The first thing I wanna do on leave is get really buzzed and wonder around Old Town Portland and make b/w photos with my Leica and Nikon F4. ...
billputnam.blogspot.com/2005_01_02_archive.html – 38k – Cached – Similar pages

[BOOK] The Keepers of the Keys – Google Books Resultby Goldstein, Shoshi, 1988- – 2003 – 187 pages
He hated to have to wonder around in the dark – even though Pete was with him. But a book would offer little protection from serial killers, bandits, ...
books.google.com/books?isbn=1553952782…

#2 2007-04-05 13:25:51

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: WONDER around (wander)

Joe, I’ve come across this too, but haven’t known quite what to do with it – still don’t, really – but I feel that it may be no more than a spelling error or perhaps some people are simply unable or unwilling to distinguish between the two. I’ve googled “wander what” (54,900 ghits) and append a few examples…

I wander what was the Genoa’s finance system’s overall influence onto the development of advanced banking in Florence a couple of centuries later. Cheers, ...
cyberlibris.typepad.com/blog/2006/09/what_they_knew_.html – 38k – Cached

I wander what more knowledgeable people think about clarity of this description. ... I wander what the efficiency would be if a very sophisticated power …
blake.montclair.edu/~kowalskil/cf/289naudin.html – 13k – Cached

makes one wander what jr ever saw in kourtnie beisdes her looks,,shes got the perosality of a duck and not friendly. I always wondered about this one. ...
www.topix.net/forum/nascar/dale-earnhar … HE4UGGIS7K – 92k – 4 Apr 2007 – Cached

#3 2007-04-05 14:44:28

tannerpittman

In my part of rural West Georgia, a good many people pronounce “wander” as “wonder” and “yonder” as “yunder.” (And the word “sophisticated” is not pronounced at all.)

#4 2007-04-18 07:58:42

Cantabrigian

A colleague of mine pronounces “wonder” as (the way I would pronouce) “wander” (rhymes with “ponder”), presumably on speak-as-you-spell grounds. I don’t think I’ve heard him use “wander”, so I don’t know if he pronounces it to rhyme with “sander”, “lander” and “Rwanda”...

Andrew

#5 2007-06-15 16:44:41

Dadge
Eggcornista

This is a pronunciation problem. It’s quite normal for wander and wonder to be confused.

#6 2013-12-30 08:53:48

burred
Eggcornista

After I got home I developed wonderlust… the desire to travel to the rest of the world, discovering even more cultures, and even greater experiences.
blog

An inspiring series,no wonder I have developed wonderlust
Train affectionado

Margie, who has a bad case of wonderlust, is captivated by Connor’s stories of his travels.
Bonanza characterization

Board footer