Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-04-10 11:49:15

englishrose

Texanisms

my texan boyfriend continually speaks in eggcorns – although i have only just been able to identify this since listening to radio 4 last night and hearing about this site – for example instead of saying “i reckon” he says (somewhat crudely) “i rectum” there are many others of this ilk but that’s certainly the most common

#2 2007-04-10 12:48:41

Andyman

Re: Texanisms

I don’t think your example really qualifies as an eggcorn unless your boyfriend really thinks that “I rectum” is the “real” version. More likely, he’s a slightly crude fellow with a penchant for bathroom humor.

Which isn’t to say that some “Texanisms” aren’t eggcorns. Continue to post them as you hear them…

#3 2007-04-11 10:29:51

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

I heard a lot of them during the short time I lived in Texas too. (Also from my mother’s Texan ex-husband.) Texas does generate a lot of eggcorns.

#4 2007-04-11 11:47:37

tannerpittman

Any schooled grammarian can tell you that “I rectum” was the original usage. Linguistic laziness is to fault for the drift away from that pure, ancient expression. So kudos (or ”(ra)coon toes” as it goes in the original) to your Texan boyfriend.

Board footer