Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-04-17 08:50:22

zywiecbear

to "woof down" (of a dog, eg its dinner), for "wolf down"

I heard only yesterday an account involving a dog “woofing down its dinner”.

#2 2007-04-17 13:40:42

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: to "woof down" (of a dog, eg its dinner), for "wolf down"

One can certainly imagine a large quantity of food being consumed in a single “woof”. So, this dog-related imagery seems to be a pretty good eggcorn of the wolf-based original. 593 Google counts.

EASTER SHMEASTER – The Nuge BoardMarshmallow Peeps rot your teeth and I’m dieting anyway, so the temptation to woof down ham and sample ample sweet treats at my in-laws’ will just made me …
nugeboard.tednugent.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/293937.html – 36k – Cached – Similar pages

Tripsource.com – Travel StoriesI woof down a cheeseburger in Cleveland and lose my raincoat, only to find it again, sitting right where I left it. We dip under low-hanging clouds and I …
www.tripsource.com/stories/Dave/lv/~Latvia.htm – 50k – Cached – Similar pages

Worldandnation: Could he at least have worn his badge?You’ve got 45 minutes to woof down that burger and fries, or it gets more expensive. Way more expensive. The Surrey Mirror reports that Maria Peters learned …
www.sptimes.com/2006/12/08/Worldandnati … _hav.shtml – 26k – Cached – Similar pages

Pocono Record – Goal still is: Hit homer in Game 7Who wouldn’t want to sit around all day, woof down a bag of Doritos five minutes before their event and then compete for 11 seconds? ...
poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070415/SPORTS/704150345 – 38k – Cached – Similar pages

Best looking car in ages – Guerilla RadioHits the local bodega to woof down a hero Son is on a ‘Midnight Run’ like De Niro. User is offline Profile Card · PM · Go to the top of the page …
www.guerilla-radio.com/index.php?showtopic=12829 – 106k – Cached – Similar pages

Amazon.com: Greenies Large Size Dog Chew Treats (30-oz Bag – 19 …My terrier is an aggressive chewer, but he does not woof down whole chunks of any food. Because he’s an agressive chewer, the Large size (even though it …
www.amazon.com/Greenies-Large-Size-Trea … B000JJNE7S – 110k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer