Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-04-21 03:21:57

alanmdouglas

Children's sayings as eggcorns?

My 6 year old recently said she was a tall “as her eye-browns”.

This seems to me to be a clear eggcorn, but as it has not been printed anywhere, I wonder if it counts?

I have several other examples of this type, and would like advice as to whether these are legitimate entries on this website.

Thanks
Alan

#2 2007-04-21 07:28:41

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Children's sayings as eggcorns?

Welcome to the Eggcorn website. The utterance you mention is truly an eggcorn, and was discussed in this posting below:

EyeBROWN (eyebrow) by jorkel Contribute! 0 2006-10-31 06:19:38 by jorkel

I think it’s great that you posted it independently because it provides further documentation of it’s authenticity. By the way, for any eggcorn that you hear out of a family member’s mouth, you could probably run a Google search and locate a few more sightings of the very same construction!!

Here are a couple excerpts from the above post…

``l0vErs iin ParIs.//*~Had my eyebrown trimmed this afternoon, and it turned out UGLY. I look so like a MALAY GIRL. She trimmed it to soo thin that I barely see my eyebrown tail. ...
www.kenzodream.blogspot.com/ – 37k – Cached – Similar pages

IngentaConnect Ignation induced by dye laser tre…wine stain in …The second laser pulse close to the upper part of the eyebrown induced a blaze and the eyebrown was in a moment destroyed by the fire. ...
www.ingentaconnect.com/content/els/0926 … 1/art89552 – Similar pages

Neo Wired.net » Fanficthe professor raised a greasy eyebrown. “I am the Knight Who Say Ni!” “Really? ... he crossed his arms, raised eyebrown matching his scowling lips. ...
neowired.net/category/fanfic/ – 38k – Cached – Similar pages

Last edited by jorkel (2007-04-21 07:35:31)

#3 2007-04-21 07:57:40

jorkel
Eggcornista

alanmdouglas writes:

I have several other examples of this type, and would like advice as to whether these are legitimate entries on this website.

My response:

Yes, you should go ahead and post them since they’re probably as delightful as the first one you posted (and since you seem to grasp the concept of what an eggcorn is pretty well).

Here are a few other things you might do to supplement your post (if you choose).

1. Check for duplication in this website
With eggcorn in hand, you can check the current website to see if it’s already been discussed.
First, go to the “Eggcorn Database” and check the alphabetical listing via “Browse Eggcorns”
Second, click on the “Search” option in the above menu and type in a key word. (I retrieved the “eyebrown” discussion by simply by typing in the word “brown” and browsing through the list).

2. Locate other examples
Run a Google search on the eggcorn word. (Sometimes you have to search using phrase fragments to hone in on the right usage).
You can even run the search on your eggcorn word and the word “eggcorn” to see if it’s been discussed as an eggcorn before!

3. Prepare your Forum Index entry
The most helpful thing you can do with your Index entry is include the proposed eggcorn in the title. This will make it easier for others to relocate your find at a later date.
In the body of your submission, you might mention both the original and the eggcorn. If the meaning of either is obscure, you can provide some explanation as well.
If you’ve done a Google search, you can mention the number of Google hits associated with your eggcorn.
And if you’re feeling really ambitious, you can copy and paste items from your Google search into this forum.
(You can check any one of my postings in the Forum to see the layout that I’ve chosen, but you don’t necessarily have to get so elaborate since it’s a little time consuming).

But at any rate, don’t let all this formalism take the fun out of your eggcorn hunt!

Last edited by jorkel (2007-04-22 08:35:23)

#4 2011-07-05 06:33:34

alanmdouglas

Dear Jorkel,

Thanks for all the advice. I had no idea it has been 5 years since I was here, and I will be much more regular from now on.

Dare I point out an eggcorn in your very instructions ?

“to hone in on” should be hoMe in on !

Love
Alan

#5 2011-07-05 13:17:17

kem
Eggcornista

A good eggcorn, in my opinion.

Here is our earlier note about it: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … p?pid=2177

You can get a feel for how we describe and document eggcorns by looking at some posts on this site. Use the site search engines to find previous discussions and, if possible, post your eggcorn examples in the threads where they were first mentioned.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer