Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-01-13 09:46:58

woodavens

"Urge on the side of caution"

(My first post to this forum, so, er, hello!)

Heard today on Radio 4’s lunchtime news programme The World at One: the phrase “urge on the side of caution”, used by the presenter, Shaun Lay (at least, I think it was him) in an interview about registered sex offenders.

I’d never heard this one before, and I wondered whether I’d simply missed something very common, but Google offers only 60 instances of this against 424,000 for “err”. I’d place it as an eggcorn (rather than a malapropism etc), but I’m open to correction.

#2 2006-01-13 15:17:58

woodavens

Re: "Urge on the side of caution"

To follow up my own post, it seems intuitively reasonable that someone who has never seen the phrase in writing could hear it as “urge” in the sense of advise, recommend, suggest, or “give one’s support to the side of caution”. Most of the Google entries make sense read in this way. (There are fewer than 60 hits: some of them are duplicates, and one or two are pointing out the “err-urge” substitution.) For example, “Bottom line is, if you are unclear, then please – urge on the side of caution, and simply do not allow the post, and tell people why it’s a bad thing, and ask the poster to rewrite, according to the rules.” (Design for Community website, 15 August 2001.)

Board footer