Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-05-11 00:32:18

Techwreck

Nauseous vs. Nauseated - CAUTION: not for the squeamish.

This is a MAJOR irritant – or should I say emetic…

I have always maintained, and have faithfully pointed out to language-butchering nausea sufferers, that the statement “I am nauseous” actually means that the speaker on the verge of vomiting is coincidentally volunteering that he or she makes other people sick. A difficult admission at such a weak moment, to be sure….

If one feels that one is about to vomit, then one is NAUSEATED, not nauseous (assuming, of course, that there are no preexisting reasons why the nauseated party might be considered nauseous, in which case one could conceivably be nauseous and then become nauseated after the fact). That being said, it should also be noted that nausea as an initial condition (especially that which is associated with retching, heaving, and/or actual vomiting) may certainly cause one to become nauseous secondarily.

#2 2007-05-11 10:37:48

yEvb0

Re: Nauseous vs. Nauseated - CAUTION: not for the squeamish.

I’d say that’s not an eggcorn…

#3 2007-05-11 11:08:37

Techwreck

Yes, I suppose I should have posted this in the “slips, innovations, and reshapings” forum, i.e., the “not necessarily eggcorn” forum. My excuses are: (1) it was very late, and (2) I joined the website only yesterday and was so excited to find such a site that I posted prematurely (before fully appreciating the existence and purpose of the other forum(s)). My apologies.

#4 2007-05-11 21:25:16

Lisa

Techwreck, I understand your enthusiasm. I too posted before reading instructions. Will post my reply to the SI&R Eggcornish Meeting Place….

Board footer