Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-05-12 07:28:52

Smuts

Genious / genius

Not really an eggcorn, but it seems the increasing tendency to use “genius” in a way that makes it sound like an adjective (e.g. “That is genius!”) has led people to confuse it with “ingenious”. Perhaps this is partly because people assume any adjective ending with “us” is spelt “ous”?

#2 2007-05-12 07:53:17

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Genious / genius

“Genious” might actually qualify as an eggcorn of “genius” based on the way you have argued it: You actually made two very strong points in that regard. Well done! The only qualm that I would have is whether “genius” and “ingenious” share too common an etymology. With any luck, someone with more knowledge on this subject might come by to say whether these two words reached English by two different routes from the same Latin progenitor … that’s my suspicion. (Personally, I’m not too concerned about the etymology element: the usages I have found point pretty strongly to an eggcorn).

Google hits on May 12, 2007:
258,000 “are a genius”
12,800 “are genious”—eggcorn.

The only other missing element is the citings…

Comments for My RantSpotHi Amir i am a big fan of you, you are genious you are smart you are handsome i love your Rang de basanti movie in this movie you are still looking very …
patil.wordpress.com/comments/feed/ – 13k – Cached – Similar pages

Wolfmother To Keep It Heavy Rock On Next Album? | News @ Ultimate …They are genious, even if they copy a lot of styles from led zep POSTED: 02/05/2007 – 02:17 pm / quote | · guitarshark2099 : ...
www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/video_news … album.html – 47k – Cached – Similar pages

Comments on: Weird FashionThe first pic (and the other with the same style), are genious creations from the Paris based label Undercover. Very underground and intelligent. ...
www.hemmy.net/2006/08/27/weird-fashion/feed/ – 11k – Cached – Similar pages

American Idol Sucks – ForumsI think the producers of AI are genious, instead of talent agents traveling all over searching for new talent this show brings the potentials to them! ...
www.pleasedrivethrough.com/forums/index … topic=1577 – 100k – Cached – Similar pages

Internet Explorer Inside Ms-Access forms? – AccessOh my God you are genious!!! Before it was Acrobat reader and now it’s a lot more interesting! Why do not simply open the respective hyperlink in a separate …
www.thescripts.com/forum/thread541891.html – 35k – Cached – Similar pages

Last edited by jorkel (2007-05-12 07:57:11)

#3 2007-05-12 08:23:49

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Genious / genius

As an aside, I have noticed that many Mandarin speakers have difficulty inserting indefinite articles into their English constructions. So, if the intended phrase is “you are a genius,” it might come out as “you are genius” and sound like “you are genious.” Even so, the examples I have provided in my previous post are all in written form, and seem to originate with speakers whose first language is English.

Board footer