Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-05-17 06:01:35

heisenbergsRat

In mourning

My friend Sherman, a master of the mangled phrase, came up to me one day and told me he had to take the day off to go a funeral. Apparently, he had been asked by the family to be a ballbearing.

#2 2007-05-17 09:15:17

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: In mourning

I’m guessing your friend intentionally replaces words with humorous sound-alike words. I can’t imagine he truly believes the word is “ball bearing” ...if he knows what a ball bearing is. Nevertheless, it’s certainly humorous language usage, and probably a malapropism. By the way, here’s my recent post on “pallbearer:”

PAWN bearer (pall) by jorkel Contribute! 0 2007-03-26 06:27:57 by jorkel

So… I’m guessing your name is inspired by “Schro:dinger’s cat.”

#3 2007-05-17 14:51:28

heisenbergsRat

Actually, he used “ballbearing” quite seriously. And incidentally, was convinced that it was proper usage. Scary, but true. I’m trying to think of some others that he coined unintentionally.

#4 2007-05-17 15:31:56

jorkel
Eggcornista

Well, if there’s a particular imagery he associated with a ball-bearing—perhaps helping the casket move along—then we might have an eggcorn here. I’ve run a number of Google searches—including phrases like “ball bearing for” with “funeral” and “casket”—to see if anyone else has made this mistake, but I haven’t turned up anything. Most eggcorns are common enough mistakes to produce thousands of sightings, but this person’s language reshapings sound rather singular. Feel free to post more of them, and we can pick apart which ones might be eggcorns.

Board footer