Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-05-20 09:04:21

hinges

Heat Sink -> Heat Sync(h)

Heat Sink -> Heat Sync(h)
Found “heat synch” here: notebookreview.com
I had a google around, and found this (pcmag.com) interesting – their encyclopedia has an entry for “heat sync” which redirects to “heat sink”, suggesting this is a common misspelling.

#2 2007-05-20 10:52:02

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Heat Sink -> Heat Sync(h)

Welcome to the Eggcorn website hinges. The “heat sync” topic you mention was discussed in this forum in the below links:

heat sync by sesquiotic Contribute! 0 2007-02-24 07:41:39 by sesquiotic
Heat sync by kasper Contribute! 0 2006-10-05 14:54:11 by kasper

You can (also) access these by clicking on “Search” in the red menu above, then entering “sync” as a keyword.

I don’t whether everything that needs to be said about “heat sync” has already been said, so it might be worth resurrecting it—after reading those links—if there’s new insight to be gleaned. With 12800 Google hits for “heat sync” there must be something more going on here, and I wish someone could identify exactly what.

Last edited by jorkel (2007-05-20 11:01:01)

#3 2007-05-20 12:01:09

Rutger

Well it obviously hasn’t been discussed, since there were no replies to previous posts of sesuiotic and kasper. In a far-stretched way, this is an eggcorn rather then just a misspelling. The heat sink tries to “synchronize” the temperatures of the hot element and the surrounding air. But honestly, the people who use the term heat sync probably just didn’t give it any thought.

#4 2007-05-20 18:17:29

jorkel
Eggcornista

Not such a “far-stretched” eggcorn at all—since all eggcorns are based on some misunderstanding of the true (original) meaning. Any technical person with more knowledge of a synchronized element than a heat sink—which doesn’t synchronize with anything—is a good candidate to utter this eggcorn. The question is: how extensive is the jargonal use of sync? Both Sesquitic and Kasper gave some indication toward answering this. I’d still like to see if there is more concrete evidence since all we have at this point is hypothesis.

Last edited by jorkel (2007-05-20 20:01:43)

Board footer