Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-09-04 10:47:39

oldpackrat

carporch

I’ve heard this used in place of “carport” or “car-port”.

#2 2007-05-15 18:04:13

Techwreck

Re: carporch

As I was sitting out on my patio watching my husband grill our dinner, the “car porch” for carport substitution occurred to me – someone had already suggested it, so I’ll just follow up on it. A porch or covered resting area for a car is a short jump from a port or area in which to park a car – Google yields 6.22 million hits for carport and only 17.3K for car porch and car-porch (far fewer – only about 1.3K – for the single word version carporch) – but the usage examples are plentiful:

The covered car porch allows the children to get in and out of their cars in rainy weather. This area is also used for some outside activities.
www.srimawar.edu.my/Tadika%20Miri/Car_porch.htm

WOFS.com – Locating your car porch correctly: Feng Shui made simple for modern living. Updated daily, this e-zine has everything from book reviews, monthly tips by Lillian Too, I-Ching, ...www.wofs.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=50&task=view&id=304 – 37k

Attention to detail is clearly evident in the Wongs’ residence, even in the car-porch with its white, clean-cut structure juxtaposed against a staggered red … www.nst.com.my/Weekly/PropertyTimes/New … 8/Article/ – 22k

Couple of days ago, the pest controller came to administer poison to kill termites in the car porch. The little box filled with poisonous wood was plastered …www.xes.cx/MT/archives/2003/10/damn_im_proud_t.html – 15k

#3 2007-05-20 23:53:20

Carol the Dabbler

Re: carporch

Hey, I like this one! The car can spend its free time relaxing in its very own porch. I may start saying this myself.

I’ve never heard this term before, though, so am amazed by the Google statistics.

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (2017-05-03 00:07:48)

Board footer