Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-05-17 11:42:33

jorkel
Eggcornista

STRIP/PED throat (strep)

Google counts on May 17, 2007
984,000 “strep throat”—standard usage
20,000 “strept throat”—mistaken usage
788 “strepped throat”—mistaken usage

13,500 “strip throat”—eggcorn
31 “stript throat”—mistaken usage + typo?
374 “stripped throat”—eggcorn
Analysis by Joe Krozel

“Strep throat” is an infection of streptococcus bacteria in the mouth. Some individuals—probably mostly children—may believe the ailment is “strip throat” or “stripped throat” in the sense that the redness/soreness is caused by something which has stipped off the skin in the back of the throat (or any variation of that imagery). There is also the notion of “stripping one’s voice” which may have a bearing on some instances of this eggcorn.

Examples:

WriteMore: Stripped throat?I swear to you, when I was younger I thought that it was called strip throat or stripped throat. And since it made me think paint remover and acetone, ...
shanknits.typepad.com/writemore/2005/01/stripped_throat.html – 26k – Cached – Similar pages

possible to get ear infection while on antibiotics? [Archive …Last spring i was on 2 different antibotics one for a stripped throat and 1 for a inner ear infection. Thanks for letting me know. ...
www.redflagdeals.com/forums/archive/ind … 13110.html – 8k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

The Blog of a Big Man Cat: ANOTHER BIRTHDAY PRESENTMy mom says that a stripped throat is very sore. Take good care of her; I know you will. ... My Mommy had stripped throat in April, she looked real bad. ...
kismetmrawmraw.blogspot.com/2006/09/another-birthday-present.html – 46k – Cached – Similar pages

Boni Is Not As Skinny As A Stick of Macaroni: April 2006She still looks kinda greenish from the stripped throat, but she must be feelin better cuz she got up … Apparently a stripped throat looks like hamburger. ...
bonimaroni.blogspot.com/2006_04_01_archive.html – 39k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Yahoo! Answers – What sickness do I have?maybe strip throat...Take 800 mg of motrin (ibuprofen) for the fever and pain. Drink lots of liquids. Get lost of rest. Rinse your mouth in warm salt water …
answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070515105633AAX3NBk – 103k – May 15, 2007 – Cached – Similar pages

ARE YOU LIKE ME AND WANNA BECOME A SINGER? HOLLA BACK AND IF I CAN …I truly love to sing I have a great voice but i have been sick with strip throat for the last couple of days . So my voice hasnt been working properly. ...
www.afb.org/message_board_replies.asp?T … FolderID=1 – Similar pages

#2 2007-05-21 00:05:33

Carol the Dabbler

Re: STRIP/PED throat (strep)

When I was young (pre-literate?), I assumed that the term was “stripped throat”—meaning that it felt like your throat had been peeled raw.

I suspect there were two reasons for my assumption: 1) I was not familiar with the term strep; 2) in midwestern American English, “strip” and “strep” are nearly homophones (and the “ed” blends into the “th”).

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (2007-05-21 00:09:41)

Board footer