Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-05-23 13:17:40

wepwep99

Cream on the crop

I had this idiot manager several years ago that would misuse idioms and colloquialisms frequently in staff meetings. A few of my friends coined these as “Karen-isms” and we would purposely use them in her presence. Here are a couple others (yes, we kept a list so we would not forget them!) –

> “Browning points” – Brownie
> “Keep you figures crossed” – fingers

Another favorite (though not a misuse of language, just a stupid comment) – “I want to be the next Netscape” – which was said in a meeting 2 weeks after Netscape imploded several years back (we worked for a software company that grew rapidly during the internet-boom). She would also often use some of the common incorrect ones like “Coming down the pipe”, “Lets flush this out a bit”, “Nip it in the butt”....

Her team meetings were always good for a few laughs…

#2 2007-05-23 14:24:18

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Cream on the crop

Really good stuff you’ve got there. It might be worthwhile to present each as a separate post (with each eggcorn usage in the title). I would do this for “browning points” and “keep your figures crossed.” I think you’d find that the others—“coming down the pipe”, “flush it out”, and “nip in the butt”—already in the Eggcorn Database, or within this Eggcorn Forum. (You can locate them by clicking on “Search” in the red menu bar above and inserting a key word. Feel free to tag comments onto those threads if you like.)

A few things you are welcome to do if you repost the above material: If there’s any ambiguity in the eggcorn, you might explain the imagery. If you feel like doing a Google search, then you can mention the Google count—and cut-and-paste some examples. Or, if you don’t like doing all that hunting that’s fine too. There are a few of us who regularly visit this site who will probably do it on our own anyway—just out of curiosity.

Well, if you have any more on that list, bring them on! They’re hilarious!

#3 2007-05-23 16:41:37

wepwep99

Re: Cream on the crop

Thx for the comments… I will do as you suggest (and yes, obtain the full list!)

Board footer