Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-05-24 15:04:40

jorkel
Eggcornista

Compromise your IDEAS? (ideals)

This post comes on the heels of Techwreck’s post about the reverse usage: “ideals” replacing “ideas.” I decided to post it separately because the critique would really fall along different lines.

Google counts on May 24, 2007:
3600 “Compromise your ideals”
1030 “Compromise your ideas”

The more idiomatic usage here is “compromise one’s ideals.” I’m not sure that it’s so wrong to speak about compromising one’s ideas, but—as I’ve stated in the past—idioms sometimes shape people’s word selection subconsciously. So, where does one draw the line between an eggcorn and a legitimate usage that was mildly inspired by an idiom?

A Startup Blog » IdeasDon’t compromise your ideas based on a “proven” business model. 28. Do be willing to revise or drop certain ideas if necessary. ...
blog.akopa.com/category/ideas/ – 19k – Cached – Similar pages

Saori C. Jewelry Designs: Wedding Jewelry – Necklaces, Chokers …Many designers will do this, and even though you’ll pay a bit more, it’s a great feeling knowing that you didn’t have to compromise your ideas to match …
www.saoric.com/spring2001.htm – 68k – Cached – Similar pages

Interview with Cliffy B – Gaming AgeDo you feel pressured by external factors (marketing deadlines, company mergers, personal life) to compromise your ideas for your work? ...
www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/specials/spe … &pagenum=1 – 24k – Cached – Similar pages

an interview with sculptor Jon Edgar in Milan, ItalyIn this case I need to retain my creative integrity; if you compromise your ideas (for money) then other people may see this work and think you’re not so …
www.jonedgar.co.uk/cv%20interview.htm – 20k – Cached – Similar pages

Switchfoot Media Group-A Multi-Media Communications CompanyDon’t compromise your ideas by creating content based on reality. Get your message across with no limits, no boundaries by letting Switchfoot Media create …
www.switchfootmedia.com/3d.htm – 9k – Cached – Similar pages

Sons still rising (Metro Times Detroit)... whether it was Mushroom, me and D, or just me and D. Y’know, you’re passionate about a track and you don’t want to compromise your ideas at the start, ...
www.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=9606 – 44k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer