Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-06-04 02:19:57

SweetViolet

"grizzly" vs "grisly"

On CNN: “FUJII: So a really grizzly scene out on Highway I-84. Witnesses and students and faculty who actually saw that say that it’s such a grizzly scene, it’ll be hard to erase it from their minds—Miles. ”

A game review: “Soldiers investigating the disappearance of the Swiss Guard Recon Squad discover a grizzly scene that none of them are ready for.”

A pseudo-news web site, American Chronicle: ”...he was not the only grizzly sight on Hillsboro Boulevard…”

The word should be “grisly” unless, of course, those sights and scenes were extremely large, long-clawed bears…

#2 2007-06-04 11:57:47

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: "grizzly" vs "grisly"

Welcome to the Eggcorn website SweetViolet. There is some discussion of the proposed eggcorn here:

grizzly for grisly by julane Contribute! 2 2006-04-03 11:14:20 by julan

The crux of the post is that it’s probably a misspelling. For it to qualify as an eggcorn, the utterer would really have to intend for there to be a comparison to a grizzly bear.

My own opinion is that there are probably some occasions where the grisly (horror-inspiring) nature of a grizzly bear is being pointed out. I just haven’t seen an example with enough contextual clues to prove this beyond a doubt.

Board footer