Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-06-04 21:25:47

klakritz
Eggcornista

'cementery' for 'cemetery'

Craig Clarke, in a recent post, singled out one-word eggcorns as especially likely to propel language evolution and, therefore, as especially valuable. Perhaps he’ll like this one.

It’s mentioned in passing in the discussion of the database entry inherit -> inherent, as one of many examples of the tendency of English speakers to stick an ‘n’ where it doesn’t belong. I think there’s a natural connection between the use of cement and the act of interment (insert Jimmy Hoffa joke here) that gets this particular insertion into eggcorn territory.

It’s also very common- 99k ghits. But some of these may have been influenced by the Spanish ‘cementerio.’

Examples:

Hotels Near The Old Jewish Cementery | Priceline.com
Hotels and Discounts at more than 12000 top hotels around the world including Old Jewish Cementery!
travela.priceline.com/hotel/POI-Old_Jewish_Cementery_Dresden_Sachsen_Germany-84045506.html

Arlington Cementery – Washington pictures from north america …
Arlington Cementery – Washington picture published by marasmo5.
travel.webshots.com/photo/1511213565051982610nDXIQP

Montparnasse Tower – cementery of Montparnasse – Rue de la Gaite …
Near the hotel Waldorf are Montparnasse Tower, the cementery of Montparnasse, the Rue de la Gaite and Jardin Atlantique.
www.hotel-paris-waldorf.com/hotel-waldo … tel-02.htm

Bubble Markets Inventory Tracking: A Bubble in Cementery Plots?
A Bubble in Cementery Plots? In a conversation with my parents today, they excitedly informed me that the burial plots they purchased 10 years ago …
bubbletracking.blogspot.com/2006/01/bubble-in-cementery-plots.html

#2 2007-06-04 22:08:28

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

Re: 'cementery' for 'cemetery'

buried – planted – cemented…. I can see it.

#3 2007-06-05 07:37:39

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: 'cementery' for 'cemetery'

I distinctly recall misspelling “cemetery” as “cementary” in a sixth-grade writing assignment. But that was years ago, and I don’t recall what imagery came to my mind—if any at all. Even so, the gravestones and structures in a cemetery may appear to some to be made of cement.

Board footer