Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-06-04 23:16:04

sravana

algorhythm

Mostly used in word-play, but there are some forum posts for programming help and the like which seem like genuine usage. Loops and recursive calls could contribute to making algorithms interpretable as partly periodic/rhythmic…

#2 2007-06-05 07:45:48

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: algorhythm

I find it outrageous that someone who doesn’t know how to spell “algorithm” would actually know how to spell “rhythm!” It’s possible that someone spelled out “algorhythm” as wordplay, and others assumed it was the correct spelling and adopted it.

On the other hand, someone who is musically inclined might be the perfect candidate to transform the word “rhythm” into “algorhythm.” So, having discussed both possibilities, I guess there are circumstances where this is indeed an eggcorn.

#3 2007-06-05 12:33:05

jorkel
Eggcornista

Google counts on June 5, 2007
17,100,000 “the algorithm”
2640 “the algorhythm”
(By including “the” in the Google search, one can eliminate many of the commercial products of the same name).

This particular Google search located some very interesting examples which may very well be eggcorns…

[Algorhythm for automatic analysis of electrocardiograms in a …With the algorhythm analysis of the ECG taken in patients with primary rheumatic … The algorhythm proved highly effective in recognizing patients with …
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi? … t=Abstract – Similar pages

[Artificial heart control system]To develop a system for the artificial heart control the algorhythm of the latter, with the blood pr…
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi? … t=Abstract – Similar pages

THE BIOLOGICAL BASIS OF THE BONE-MUSCLE INTERRELATIONSHIP IN THE …THE BIOLOGICAL BASIS OF THE BONE-MUSCLE INTERRELATIONSHIP IN THE ALGORHYTHM OF FRACTURE HEALING. H. Kaufman1, A. Reznick2, G. Maor2 and H. Stein3 …
proceedings.jbjs.org.uk/cgi/content/abstract/87-B/SUPP_III/392-a – Similar pages

Galileo – ArchivesFor years now Russian scientists from the National Geophysics Institute have proposed modifying the algorhythm for Italy. It was in fact created for major …
server11.infn.it/pub/galileo/galileo_eng/archivio/mag/980627/4_art.html – 6k – Cached – Similar pages

Daniweb encryption challengeThe algorhythm used is based on finding all the factors of a hidden seed number. ... By the way, I have no idea if the algorhythm I thought up was new or …
www.daniweb.com/blogs/entry1362.html – 24k – Cached – Similar pages

Tips and Techniques – JPEGBecause JPEG is a “lossy” compression method, this means that color information is thrown out and replaced by the algorhythm’s best guess at an accurate …
avidfaq.anglepark.com/TipsTech.html – 9k – Cached – Similar pages

#4 2007-06-05 13:47:18

patschwieterman
Administrator

I found about a half-dozen authentic-looking hits for “allgorhythm” and “all-go-rhythm” (just one or two for the latter). An algorithm does indeed make everything go.

Board footer