Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-06-08 13:50:36

tnadasdi

a forgotten conclusion

Has anyone come across the eggcorn “forgotten conclusion” (= foregone conclusion)?

terry

#2 2007-06-08 16:54:23

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: a forgotten conclusion

You’ve probably seen the Eggcorn Database entry for Foregone/Far Gone. I haven’t seen any documentation on “forgotten conclusion,” so you may be able to claim it as your own find.

The key will be to determine whether a new imagery is generated to qualify as an eggcorn. I think the examples may very well bear this out. Sure, the juxtaposition of the words “forgotten conclusion” could be arrived through simple linguistic construction, but I don’t think this is always the case: I’m more prone to believe that the term “forgotten conclusion” is subliminally inspired by the more idiomatic “foregone conclusion.” Hence, it would be an eggcorn.

Here are a few from the 309 Google hits (June 8, 2007):

CNN Transcript – Special Event: The Florida Recount: New Lawsuits …QUINN: Think it’s almost a forgotten conclusion. It’s inconceivable to me that the supreme court of Florida would say to these counties and the secretary of …
transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0011/18/se.02.html – 74k – Cached – Similar pages

Victimless CrimesI came up to a well-known but for a forgotten conclusion:‎ Adam and Eve were sent to earth to live on it and make it livable for the descendants.‎ ...
oligarchie.blogspot.com/ – 23k – Cached – Similar pages

Padre Miguel Pro… when he repeated this most obvious and yet most forgotten conclusion concerning the agony of the Crucified: “All this, Jesus Christ did and suffered for …
www.thesacredheart.com/sts/pro.htm – 25k – Cached – Similar pages

[PDF] Flashback to the 1960s: LSD in the treatment of autismFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
original albeit often forgotten conclusion that the. condition was probably biological in origin, to more. psychoanalytic accounts [2]. A prevailing view in …
taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/index/WQ01V0525644PR5H.pdf – Similar pages

Zetetic Astronomy, Earth Not A Globe: Chapter XV. General Summary …most profound investigation he arrived at the sublime and never to-be-forgotten conclusion, that when the ‘primitive impulse was imparted, the earth was …
www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za/za66.htm – 98k – Cached – Similar pages

TEETH BITE:SHERIFF DIBBA FIRED- HAMAT BAH, CHURCHIIL BALDEH …Sheriff Diba’s plan to enjoy the older and the younger generation is a forgotten conclusion. His case should serve as a lesson to some of the dishonest and …
freedomnewspaper.com/.../Default.aspx – 53k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer