Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-06-09 00:53:59

GeorgeT

Non-secretarian

I noticed a prominent local community organisation’s website proclaimed the organisation as “non-secretarian”. I pointed this out to them and they changed it. I decided to google “non-secretarian” and came up with 500+ hits. All that I looked at, up to about the first 50 or so, meant “non-sectarian”. Is this a new eggcorn?

#2 2007-06-09 23:51:40

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: Non-secretarian

Welcome to the forum, GeorgeT! I like “non-secretarian” a lot as an entertaining reshaping.

The touchstone for eggcornicity is whether the new form still makes a certain kind of sense in the same context. I think you have to be pretty clever—probably too clever—to make “non-secretarian” work in that regard. Maybe some users are associating “secretaries” with the structure that gives organized political or religious groups their cohesiveness. But that seems like a stretch; I suspect this one’s a malaprop. Perhaps other members of the forum will weigh in with other ideas.

#3 2007-06-10 06:58:19

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Non-secretarian

Patschwieterman describes the situation pretty well. “non-secretarian” is probably a malapropism because there is no literal meaning of “secretary” that makes sense in context. One could attempt to splice “non-secretarian” differently and pull out the word “secret,” but that only leads to other clever/ludicrous plays on meaning: I don’t think the congregation leaders intended “non-secret-arian” to mean “we don’t keep secrets from our flock.”

The key point is this: as long as the meaning of the word was always intended to be “not confined to a single sect” it cannot be an eggcorn. (This would just be a case of accidentally inserting an extra syllable where none was needed). But, if the ones who erected the sign had a mistaken understanding of the meaning, then we need to find out what that was to understand some mistaken imagery.

Last edited by jorkel (2007-06-10 07:03:20)

Board footer