Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2005-10-29 03:02:17

klakritz
Eggcornista

'quitely'

I’ve discovered that he non-word ‘quitely’ is extraordinarily common- about 300,000 ghits.

(About 1/3 of these refer to a famous cartoonist named Frank Quitely.)

Of the rest, the majority seem to be ‘quietly’ misspelled. A few writers use it to mean ‘emphatically.’ In still other cases, it’s hard to say which meaning is being employed- possibly both.

I’d be curious to know if others think there’s an eggcorn here and if anyone has a theory about why the misspelling is so prevalent. Examples:

Sachin Tendulkar after his brilliant unbeaten 140 against Kenya at Bristol, has quitely moved into the top three position among batsmen in the World Cup.
www.rediff.com/worldcup99/stats/2505stat.htm – 93k – Cached – Similar pages – Remove result

She floats quitely across to her favorite spot, crawls quitely to shore, baits her hook with the fattest of worms and waits.
www.authorsden.com/visit/viewShortStory … 1&id=15386

Moderate Republicans are quitely (and sometimes not so quitely) dissapointed with the President.
atlblogs.com/moderaterepublican/archives/001527.html

I achieved this a while ago, and quitely rejoiced. Congrats!
www.antipixel.com/blog/archives/2002/11 … stone.html

I pronounce R quitely strongly in words like sort. So would Americans and Canadians.
forum.wordreference.com/archive/index.php?t-370.html

Seattle is quitely turning into a food town.
forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=11595&view=getlastpost – 154k –

What you say is quitely correct.
www.peak.ne.jp/xoops/md/xhnewbb/viewtop … orum=1&amp

...what I can tell you ia that around 100000 Jews died in the famine, so it seems quitely unlikely Jews were behind it.
www.stormfront.org/forum/showthread.php?t=232022&page=5

Board footer