Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-01-21 17:35:32

klakritz
Eggcornista

'note to benny' for 'nota bene'

I don’t know who Benny is, but he’s collecting a lot of notes. About 300 ghits:

Week 3 . *Note to Benny (NB): Benny, don’t forget, for us the day begins the evening before.
mailman.hens-teeth.net/pipermail/neve-teachings/2003-May/000098.html

Note to benny: conservatives don’t care what color anyone is.
www.dropzone.com/.../gforum.cgi?do=post … rch_engine

before you start typing A hasty Note To Benny, please consider some of my reasoning.
fornits.com/renegade/peaars.cgi?fetch=5197

Note to Benny that the spring flowers and leaves will really start to pop once they get that extra hour of daylight.
www.jewelrydesigners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31541

Note to Benny: I did not specifically state that I am the owner of this timepiece.
www.diamondtalk.com/forums/archive/jp33 … nerai.html

#2 2006-01-21 21:05:43

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: 'note to benny' for 'nota bene'

Amazing. Ken, I often wonder this about your more astonishing finds, but I have to ask it about this one: did you see this somewhere, or did you just think, “Hmmmnnnhhh, maybe someone will reanalyze ‘Nota bene’ as ‘Note to Benny’”?

The whole batch posted today is pretty darn inspired, actually.

#3 2006-01-22 20:58:08

patschwieterman
Administrator

Sometimes, gentlemen, a note to Benny is just a note to Benny.

The more I thought about this one, the more unbelievable it seemed. So I decided to follow the links. In the second example, the writer (Anvil) is responding to a post by a Benny; Benny replies in the next post. In the third case, “Benny” is a reference to Dr. Benny J. Peiser, the site administrator. The third and fourth citations are a bit more ambiguous; they look they’re from entirely different websites, but they’re actually from related sites that are part of a larger complex. One author—“Rodentman”—wrote both posts, and he seems to be referring to a specific fellow poster; the members list has three different Bens on it. In the case of Ken’s first example, the site is members-only, so I wasn’t able to follow out threads or access the members list, but it’s pretty clear the author was having a little fun playing on the name of a fellow member who lives in a very different time zone. I think all of these are quite literally notes to Benny—the same Benny, in two of the examples.

This turns out to be one of those “the Web is so big…” stories. Substituting some other names makes it clearer:

“A note to Ken”: 1380 hits
“A note to Pat”: 980 hits
“A note to Craig”: 433 hits
“A note to Benny”: 364

Compared to some of us, Benny isn’t really getting so many notes. This “size problem” is one of those issues—like spellchecker artifacts and simple misspellings—that we have to keep an eye on.

#4 2006-02-22 15:46:44

rodentman

I am The Rodentman. My posts reefering (sic) to Note to Benny were simply a play on words. I know what NB means, and there was no Benny involved.

For all intensive purposes, I just thought I’d let you know.

I have buried a lot of eggcorns in my time, I assure you.

#5 2006-02-22 16:24:17

patschwieterman
Administrator

Welcome Rodentman! If you’re truly the Rodentman in question, I stand corrected. How did you hear about your fame in Eggcornia?

#6 2006-02-22 18:02:30

rodentman

Yes I am the Rodentman reefered to in the “diamondtalk” citation. Actually I was bored at work and decided to ogle “rodentman.” Seems that this forum is just what the Dr proscribed!

I use Note to Benny in emails at work. No one has yet asked me what I mean. Well, they know me there…They don’t listen to anything I rectumend. I try to simplificate things instead of complexicate them, all to no anvil.

Board footer