Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-06-20 00:43:33

patschwieterman
Administrator

"explodentially" for "exponentially"

This was inspired by Dadge’s “expotential” Database post. I wondered whether anyone took the idea just a bit further – exponential growth can certainly be explosive. It turns out not many people have gone this far – just 3 – but I find “explodentially” entertaining, so I posted it anyway. The first appears to be sincere, the second is questionable, the third is clearly a pun:

Question: Do the baby questions explodentially increase by yearly holiday until you have one?
http://www.koreabridge.com/forums/lofiv … t1678.html

He meant to say, “explodentially”.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/sho … p?t=104212

”...once it reaches a tipping point the amount of criminal behaviour explodes.”. In other words it increases explodentially.
http://www.ninme.com/archives/2006/08/w … he_ch.html

#2 2024-01-08 05:13:14

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: "explodentially" for "exponentially"

“Shouldn’t be in the slips, Pat” he replied, having thought about it for nearly 16 years. In fact I’ve just found it and it’s a great deal better than what I was about to submit. Here’s a few more:

As the Global markets slow down and the transfer of wealth has sped up explodentially, where is the US heading?

Explodential growth has long applied less to AI as a whole, but often to subfields such as image recognition, chatbots or games.

I never really feared pandemics, until I became a trader, and learned about explodential growth.

‘Exponentially’ is generally used to indicate a sudden and dramatic increase. I came across ‘expeditionally’ which may suggest instead a brave and perhaps risky enterprise, where one may boldly go into unknown territory. But more malaprop than eggcorn I fear.

Mark my words this show will experience expeditional growth with the new format, again I base this on introducing people to the show and …

We see consumers and businesses selling and purchasing in record expeditional growth.

We’ve grown expeditionally from day one!

The benefits of +damage just get expeditionally better the more you use and the deeper you get in the game.

When you believe in yourself, your confidence grows expeditionally. “Weight lifting has changed my life for the better. It’s improved so …

#3 2024-01-16 04:46:05

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: "explodentially" for "exponentially"

Peter, I think your collection of sophisticated, well-written citations for the use of “explodential” is far better evidence for the eggcornicity of the usage than what I originally posted. I don’t know whether I missed useful possibilities 17 years ago, or whether this phrase has just undergone explodential growth since the halcyon days of 2007. I think I probably would have changed the category if I’d had better examples.

And “expeditional” is also fun—surfacing an adventurous edge to exponentiality.

Board footer