Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2005-10-29 11:10:57

martyc35

Flamingo Dancers for Flamenco Dancers

I have seen this usage in eBay listings and in other advertising. It prompts quite an interesting visual image.

#2 2007-06-24 16:06:37

booboo
Eggcornista

Re: Flamingo Dancers for Flamenco Dancers

Marty, I heard about your submission from the forum page about assembling a list of new eggcorns. I think you have one that is so self-explanatory that perhaps that is why no comments have been left. It appears your submission is being greatly enjoyed, nonetheless. Just so you wouldn’t wonder what we’re thinking, I thought I’d leave you my comments and some examples from the wild. Google has 2,380 hits for “flamingo dancers”. Some of the examples are intentional but many are not:

When the DVD opens you get the flamingo dancers with brightly colored head dresses and you know it’s only gonna get better from there. ...
www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews

Models need to learn how to work with a partner therefore, the girls will learn how to dance flamingo style with handsome flamingo dancers. ...
www.realitytvmagazine.com/blog/2006/11/americas

... the Fiesta Dinner, complete with mariachis and flamingo dancers; and many “special events” that took full advantage of the unique Albuquerque locale. ...
www.westcomm.org/publications/news/april_04.html – 42k

The funny thing about your eggcorn, and most eggcorns is the imagery and mental machinations involved to create it. I think the examples above make a good case that the imagery of a flamingo being colorful, exotic and graceful make it a perfect eggcorn to be substituted for flamenco dancers, which are colorful, exotic and graceful. Flamenco is a classic example of a word that is not used except for flamenco dancing/flamenco music, making it ripe for an eggcorn when a familiar word like flamingo is within easy mental reach, especially considering all the imagery parallels. Thanks for a good laugh!

Board footer