Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-06-26 11:31:03

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

"facial tick" for "facial tic"

Hearing ‘tic’ and assuming ‘tick’ seems quite reasonable; clocks and ourselves have faces and the spasmodic jerk of the second hand is definitely tic-like. There are over 30,000 ghits for ‘facial tic’ and nearly a third of that number for the ‘tick’ variant.

You suddenly wake up to find that you have an extreme facial tick that causes … It occurs eight times an hour, but every time the facial tick happens your …
www.pauldavidson.net/2005/09/13/questions-part-xvi/ – 43k – Cached

I think it’s a facial tick…...have no idea what that is, just heard someone … isn’t a facial tick like where your cheek’ll twitch? like in the eppy that …
forums.usanetwork.com/lofiversion/index.php/t383857.html – 32k – Cached

He developed a facial tick—an outward sign of the tremendous stress he underwent in a classroom setting. “I realized he was falling through the cracks. ...
www.multnomah.edu/voice/0300/0300cover.html – 14k – Cached

I knew a guy who worked at the mall who has like this weird facial tick from venti light coffee 4 times a day. You gotta see the nerves twist and contort …
www.ihatestarbucks.com/bbs.php?i=4075 – 36k – Cached

#2 2007-06-26 11:49:07

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

Re: "facial tick" for "facial tic"

This could first be a simply spelling mistake: “tic” is sort of a stupid way to spell a word that rhymes with “stick” and “lick” and “kick” and “nick.” OK, OK, not stupid, not really, but certainly counterintuitive.

But I think your comments on the imagery are logical, and could be part of the argument to make this a true eggcorn. Of course, it’s hard to tell for sure what people are saying or thinking in their heads, and I bet it’s hard to find an example w/ enough extra exposition to make it clear there’s a “second hand” analogy going on; all our examples simply use the term, but don’t explain its origin (just define it, which doesn’t help w/ our imagery switch).

The “tick” a clock makes short, has brief pauses between, and is audibly similar in effect to a “tic” or spasmodic twitch’s visual effect. That could help make it an eggcorn, as well.

But again, it might be hard to find enough documentation for what’s going on in people’s heads. (We need someone to write to Dear Abby correcting her spelling of “tick” and explaining the clock thing.)

#3 2007-06-26 13:48:27

jorkel
Eggcornista

We keep running into the same brick wall of not knowing exactly what the utterer is thinking. Personally, I like all the imagery that the two of you provide on this one. I also think it might be necessary for the eggcorn evaluators to invent/invoke a “reasonable person standard” for arbitrating these things because what other recourse is there?

#4 2007-06-26 16:41:38

Dadge
Eggcornista

I’ve known this spelling mistake for many years and I’d hesitate before labelling it an eggcorn. However it’s categorised, it’s almost mainstream.

#5 2007-06-26 17:50:57

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

What if we can make the image switch that’s necessary?

Well, I guess that wouldn’t work from a scholar’s or lexicographer’s point of view—there’s no independent occurrence to document.

But it’s still fun.

Board footer