Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-06-29 10:32:13

klakritz
Eggcornista

'fin and haddie' for 'finnan haddie'

Finnan haddie is smoked haddock. ‘Finnan’ is the modified name of a northern Scottish town and doesn’t connect to fins, despite the fishy context. Uncommon-

Remember Fin and Haddie? A simple fish called Haddock, smoked and lightly glazed, then steamed in milk and chopped onion, thickened and then served on toast …
www.mrspeters.com/faqs.asp

Recipes from Kymerians Fin and Haddie My grandmother was and English cook, and I believe this came down from her.www.maresdream.com/clarion/dec04/recipes.html

Fin and Haddie. *. Smoked Filet. COOKED LOBSTER. EVISCERATED CH’CKENS. Watermelons Ig. $1.99…
digitize.gp.lib.mi.us/digitize/newspapers/gpreview/1945-49/46/1946-06-13.pdf

#2 2007-06-29 11:37:22

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: 'fin and haddie' for 'finnan haddie'

I do like this one and, as is so often the case, I wonder how I missed it ( I was about to submit ‘prestodigitation’ before finding, not for the first time, that you’d been there already) – I’m particularly pleased to see a bit of Scottish English making a rare appearance.

Board footer