Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-02-04 16:20:31

berenda05

Cash Bar/Casbah

What about Miss Malaprop in THE RIVALS? My favorite:
In Algiers they spend most of the time at the cash bar.

What’s the difference between a malapropism and an eggcorn?

#2 2006-02-04 23:14:52

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: Cash Bar/Casbah

The title of the song “Rock the Casbah” by the Clash is sometimes misheard as “Rock the cash bar.” The two main websites that collect “mondegreens” (i.e., misheard lyrics—like Dylan’s “The ants are my friends, they’re blowin’ in the wind” or The Rolling Stones’ “I see a Renoir and I want to paint it black”) both list it:

http://kissthisguy.com/lyric.php?id=2970

http://www.amiright.com/misheard/song/r … sbah.shtml

As for the distinction between an eggcorn and a malapropism, eggcorns make some kind of sense of an obscure or opaque phrase, but malapropisms don’t. For instance, the phrase “star-craving mad” (instead of “stark-raving mad”) seems like an excellent eggcorn to me: it expresses a kind of hopeless, obsessive longing for the unattainable that we sometimes associate with mental instability. The reinterpreted phrase has a meaning that’s ultimately similar to that of the original, but it’s arguably a bit more transparent than the standard phrase. And the fact that it’s charmingly poetic is a bonus. By contrast, “the entomology of the word” (for “the etymology of the word”) is clearly a malapropism because it’s simply nonsense—it’s hard to imagine that anyone who knew what the word “entomology” really meant could write that.

Of course, these two examples make the distinction seem more clear-cut than it often is; if you go look at the comments for individual entries in the Eggcorns Database proper, you’ll see many instances where people dispute the eggcornicity of a given phrase listed in the Database.

Board footer