Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-07-01 00:13:06

jorkel
Eggcornista

The CHECKER'S flag (checkered)

Google counts on July 1, 2007
1,160,000 “checkered flag”
47,000 “checker flag”
867 “checkers flag”
Analysis by Joe Krozel

Perhaps there are some who haven’t associated the pattern on the checkered flag with its name. Some of those same people might be the ones who believe the flag is held by a checker or a person who checks the status at the end of the race like an official notary of sorts.

On the other hand, perhaps those who utter “checkers flag” are all too aware that the flag resembles the pattern on a checker board. I guess this latter explanation might nullify the eggcorn.

Examples:

VehiCROSS.info Forums – Hey Guyssomething that looks nice or extreme ( for me i like checker’s flag like in nascar racing) please reply and tell me what do you think about the decal and …
vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=1304 – 89k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Penton Owners GroupOne race he stopped in the beginning of the last straight to the checkers flag. Had himself a beer, talked to the audience, pointed backwards towards the …
www.pentonusa.org/forum/post.asp?method … FORUM_ID=1 – 42k – Cached – Similar pages

Infendo | Nintendo news, podcast, Wii, DS, and GBA blog » Blog …... when you are trailing behind first place and the finish line is up ahead ,… then you release the flying bomb and POW ! ………hand me the checkers flag. ...
www.infendo.com/ds/poll-favorite-ds-wi- … tion-game/ – 45k – Cached – Similar pages

If you don’t write, I can’t reply at Dale Jr’s BlogIt would be great to hear back from you. If not good luck on Sunday and the rest of the year. I’ll be watching and hoping you bring home the checkers flag! ...
blogs.infieldparking.com/DaleJr/?p=5 – 850k – Cached – Similar pages

Last edited by jorkel (2007-07-01 00:31:59)

#2 2007-07-02 10:36:30

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

Re: The CHECKER'S flag (checkered)

the flag resembles the pattern on a checker board. I guess this latter explanation might nullify the eggcorn.

Oh, I wouldn’t think it nullifies it—just offers two different eggcorns.

#3 2007-07-02 10:49:38

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: The CHECKER'S flag (checkered)

Yes, but I wonder if the name “checkers” is derived from the checkered pattern of the board. I haven’t investigated the etymology of this, but that’s my suspicion.

So, if a person sees a checkered flag and associates it with a checkerboard, then the checkeredness just might originate from the same source—the pattern and it’s word origin.

Board footer