Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-07-07 13:28:11

booboo
Eggcornista

underlining for underlying

My daughter has discovered 3 good eggcorns

1st is underlining for underlying, as in “underlining issue”(2040 hits) vs. “underlying issue” (414,000 hits).

Examples;

I know candida is not to blame, becuase there is an underlining problem allowing candida to get out of control, but until I correct the underlining issue, ...
herballure.com/ubbthreads/newreply.php?

Underlining issue. Drive Slow. Local road construction on Highway 95 is causing … With this in consideration, the underlining issue here is whether the …
drive-slow.blogspot.com/ – 22k – Supplemental Result

He is obviously doing everything he has done so far for limelight, only a doctor that spends some time with him can say what the underlining issue is a …
www.thegossipfix.com/2007/05/17/dustin- … mind/feed/

The interesting thing to me is that the “lying” of “underlying” is neither rare nor archaic. Nevertheless, I believe the same eggcorn principles are at work here: first exposure to the word perhaps misheard, yet eggcorn “lining” makes sense in the context. Think of it this way: the “lining”, as in a pool, is what’s really holding everything up; it is the foundation of the observable or superficial.

This example, and the next 2 submissions were heard on TV a couple of days ago. Internet research, I believe, is backing these up as good observations.

Thanks

#2 2007-07-07 14:20:35

klakritz
Eggcornista

Re: underlining for underlying

This is a good one, but it’s already in the database.

#3 2007-07-08 00:45:04

booboo
Eggcornista

Re: underlining for underlying

Okay, thanks. Somehow I didn’t find it when I searched. Allright, everybody! Back to the eggcorn fields!

Board footer