Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-07-07 14:12:19

booboo
Eggcornista

wavelink for wavelength

It was hard to isolate this possible eggcorn in google, due to a business of the same name. However, when searching “same wavelink”, I got 399 hits vs 933,000 for “same wavelength”

examples:

We must be on the same wavelink as I was just coming to post a reminder about our first Thursday playgroup meeting. We’re planning on being there and I’ve …
www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=67188 – 50k

This household is totally on the same wavelink as you guys. We have so much to do inside, but we can’t quite keep ourselves from playing in the dirt. ...
caemery.blogspot.com/2007/05/adventures-in-gardening.html – 31k –

35 more hits were found under “different wavelink”. The total amount of eggcorns is under 1000, I know, but I think the eggcorn creation principles are very strong here, even if not nearly as common. The “link” in wavelink has very strong contextual imagery. Being on the same “wavelength” IS about being “in sync” or having coordinated actions – the very definition of linked! Perhaps this association was “just too good” to resist by the unsuspecting propagators. After all, the knowledge of the definition of “wavelength” should not be too rare, although using in reference to human activities would be a less popular definition.

#2 2007-07-07 17:07:41

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: wavelink for wavelength

Don’t worry about falling below 1000 Google hits. 400 is pretty hefty enough.

I think “wavelink” works pretty well as an eggcorn just using an operational argument; There are some who might struggle with the imagery of two things being on the same “wavelength” if they aren’t thinking in terms of radio transmission. The insertion of “link” at least places something tangible into the expression for them. So, yes, “on the same wavelength” conveys a sense of being linked to most of us, but saying “on the same wavelink” makes it ever so explicit for others.

By the way, congratulations on your newly-acquired “Eggcornista” title. (Presumably, anyone who has reached 50 postings has had something significant to say. Or… it’s really hard to post 50 times without actually “getting” the concept. So it’s a pretty fair measure of competence).

Last edited by jorkel (2007-07-07 17:15:17)

#3 2007-07-08 00:51:21

booboo
Eggcornista

Re: wavelink for wavelength

Thanks, jorkel. It’s a pleasure being part of such a fun and rewarding pursuit.

Board footer