Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-07-07 19:15:44

klakritz
Eggcornista

'The Tall-Tale Heart' for 'The Tell-Tale Heart'

The Tell-Tale Heart is, of course, a famous short story by Poe and, like most of Poe’s stories, it’s a pretty ‘tall tale.’

Whether or not you think this is an eggcorn, I hope I’m performing a minor public service by bringing this substitution to the attention of the community. Reference to Poe’s story as ‘The Tall-Tale Heart’ seems to be especially prevalent at sites that sell or give away prefabricated student essays. I believe that some of my fellow eggcornistas teach english; presumably there are many more among the conjectural multitude of hyperlexical lurkers that the Eggcorn Forum attracts. You teachers might well flunk an essay that got the very title of the essay’s subject wrong. Be aware that you might be dealing with plagiarism to boot. (I thought the purpose of stealing an essay was to hand in something better than you’d write on your own, but apparently not.)

Free Essays on The Tall Tale Heart By Edgar Allen Poe…
Category of Term Papers and Essays on The Tall Tale Heart By Edgar Allen Poe.
www.eduessays.com/Essays-on-the-tall-ta … -poe1.html

the tall tale heart – edgar allen poe book review summary…
www.buildingrainbows.com/bookreview/reviewid/16255

A Deeper Darkness – Edgar Allen Poe essays
The narrator of this tale is a murderer who loves his victims much like the killer in The Tall-Tale Heart does (Graham, 2760).
www.megaessays.com/viewpaper/91228.html

The book contains several short stories, like “The Tall Tale Heart” by Edgar Allan Poe.
www.avdistrict.org/library/rrplib.html

Term Papers on Biographies – Term Papers Lab
... LifeStory Edgar Allen Poe was a very famous poet and writer,Poe created many poems and stories such as The Raven, The Tall -Tale Heart…
www.termpaperslab.com/term-papers/biographies/e.html

#2 2007-07-08 01:16:31

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: 'The Tall-Tale Heart' for 'The Tell-Tale Heart'

I’ve had the phrase “a tall-tale sign” lurking on the word processor for months but have never gotten around to posting it to “Slips, etc.” because posting to “Slips” never seems very pressing. So let’s consider it posted. 500+ hits.

I teach British lit, so I haven’t had the pleasure of encountering “Tall-tale Heart” yet. But you’re absolutely right about the quality of those free on-line essays. There have been cases where I suspected a paper was plagiarized but I had no good proof—so I just gave the paper the bad grade it would merit if it were original work. Simple.

Back during the dotcom thing, I briefly worked for a (now-defunct) company (whose content was bought by a now-defunct company whose content…) that created Sparknotes-type summaries of famous works. I’m just waiting for the day I catch a student plagiarizing me.

Board footer