Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-07-09 08:14:38

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

"parenthial" vision

This probably doesn’t really count, but….

My little brother is in the Army (CW4, and we’re so proud!). At a training class, he told me, one of his fellow warrant officers was talking about holding the attention of the group of soldiers, and he was struggling for a moment to find the term he wanted—the one for seeing what’s going on out of the corner of his eye (which he found quite useful).

“Parenthial vision,” he finally came up with. We thought it sounded great—sort of, you can still see what’s inside the parentheses. Or, maybe, there’s the main stuff you can see, and then there’s the extra stuff that’s “in parentheses,” so to speak. Instead of “on the periphery.”

Both those phrases—”in parentheses” and “on the periphery”—are used to mean “something extra that you don’t always have to consider.

It probably doesn’t count as a true eggcorn, bcs it’s not going to reoccur, and I don’t think this guy normally uses it; he was groping for the term he couldn’t remember, and grabbed this one, quick!

Though, I did find two hits on Google! Both of them on some “let’s take turns writing a story” website (I’m sure there’s a name for that), so they’re unedited writing.

——————http://www.kingdomd2d.proboards102.com/ … 1175825736

Re: The Orb Of Faith:Beginning(Plot Tread)
Post by Nightmare on Apr 6, 2007, 4:46pm

His expression showed him wincing that was all. He was keeping the pain inside not letting the others know about his trial yet. Then in his parenthial vision Surge notices another guy. With his dark clothes and his biker gloves he looked as if he ment buisness.

————-

AND
—————
http://www.giveupalready.com/archive/in … 21591.html

Blankwindow 12th July 2005, 10:45 PM

But Delita did the strangest thing. He walked off the field. Taking the weapon with him. He didn’t like this. He had never seen Delita walk aay from a challenge especially in the middle of the fight. He kept an eye on Sun. but watched Delita in his parenthial vision.—————

Board footer