Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-07-07 22:15:38

Day Vid

"grows" for "gross" - disgusting?

I saw this comment:

“You can see their veins sticking out everywhere… grows!”

On this page (don’t ask):

http://photos.tmz.com/galleries/thunder_from_down_under

So I did a Google search for “eww grows” and “ewww grows”. Here are a few of the hits:

“Do you Smoke:, eww grows.”

“In the past month have you eaten Sushi:, eww grows no.”

“EWW GROWS. so yea for the last to days ive had to clean things that either i touched or step into … then my hand touches slimy slime and it was grows … my boss desides to make me clean it up and it sucks it was grows”

“but leggings ewww grows come on ppl just were skirts not leggings”

“Sonja said 6 cats in an apartment ewww grows wall to wall littler boxes”

“look at her fat thigh ewww grows”

Admittedly, these people are functionally illiterate (and several of the quotes are from myspace), but there seem to be some people who are convinced that “gross” is spelled “grows”. It isn’t just a typo, either, as evidenced by the writer who used it three times. Just bad spelling, or is this an eggcorn?

Day Vid

#2 2007-07-08 09:47:57

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: "grows" for "gross" - disgusting?

Welcome to the Eggcorn Website, Day Vid. An essential component of an eggcorn is the generation of new imagery. If you think utterers have a specific notion in mind with “grows,” you might want to elaborate on it. It can also be helpful to locate examples with enough contextual clues to support the imagery you might suggest. We need something to suggest this isn’t just a case of bad spelling or eye dialect.

#3 2007-07-09 19:09:35

Day Vid

Re: "grows" for "gross" - disgusting?

Thanks, jorkel. After reading some of the other posts delineating what separates a true eggcorn from bad spelling or eye dialect, I’m now convinced that this is just one of the latter two. Sorry about the mistake.

Board footer