Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-07-14 08:33:12

jorkel
Eggcornista

Stranded on a DESERT island. (deserted)

Google counts on July 14, 2007
87,700 “Stranded on a deserted island”
200,000 “Stranded on a desert island”
Analysis by Joe Krozel

The Wikipedia article on “Deserted island” starts:

A deserted island (also known as a ‘desert island’) is simply any uninhabited island: the word “desert” in this context is an adjective meaning “desolate and sparsely occupied or unoccupied,” and does not imply arid desert climate.[1] Such islands are commonly invoked in metaphor, literature, and the popular imagination.

Even so, I wonder how many people who utter “desert island” envision an island so small that the sand on the beach covers the entire island and gives it the appearance of a desert. And here, the freedoms and restrictions of a “deserted” island are just as real.

Examples:

a sibilant intake of breath » Blog Archive » Desert Island Discs… bring along to soften the experience of being stranded on a desert island: .... an island (I imagine a single hump of sand, round, with a palm tree). ...
www.sindark.com/2006/08/29/desert-island-discs/ – 31k – Cached – Similar pages

If you was stranded on a desert islandIf you was stranded on a desert island Posted: Dec 28, 2006, 11:37 PM EST. id have too much fun making sand castles to want to leave. everyones welcome to …
www.singlesinpennsylvania.com/pennsylva … 2510-2.htm – 25k – Cached – Similar pages

The Longstockings: QoW: From Guest Blogger, Justine Larbalestier!Question of the Week: You’re about to be stranded on a desert island and …. I’d write haiku in the sand, and then every morning it could be washed away. ...
thelongstockings.blogspot.com/2007/06/qow-from-guest-blogger-justine.html – 43k – Cached – Similar pages

Review: The Economist Newspaper North AmericaI mean, if I were ever stranded on a desert island like the people from that showLost, and some genie or mirage/hallucination of a DHL delivery guy gave me …
www.yelp.com/biz/V18yXwB2nw6D74XWSt1wZg … lMAfmv8… – Similar pages

The First Good Beer Blog Contest Of 2007 | A Good Beer BlogThe three bottles of beer you would want if stranded on a desert island and why. ... Desert island doesn’t have to mean sand and a single tree (ala the …
beerblog.genx40.com/archives/2007/february/thefirstgood – 51k – Cached – Similar pages

#2 2007-07-14 15:51:21

booboo
Eggcornista

Re: Stranded on a DESERT island. (deserted)

jorkel, would this be a “stealth eggcorn”? I get the exact imagery stated with “desert island”. If the island is large and lush, I’ve always thought “deserted” should be used. Once again, I discover that I’m a secret carrier.

#3 2007-07-14 16:37:14

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Stranded on a DESERT island. (deserted)

Even though “desert” might sound incorrect relative to “deserted,” these two adjectives appear to be interchangable. (Or should I be calling “deserted” a past participle?) Meriam Webster even mentions “a desert island” as an example of it’s usage. Given that and people’s mistaken imagery with it, I’d probably label “desert island” a stealth eggcorn as you suggest booboo.

Last edited by jorkel (2007-07-14 16:58:48)

Board footer