Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-07-17 21:13:34

patschwieterman
Administrator

"harduous" for "arduous"

(This one sounds awfully familiar, but I couldn’t find it by googling. Apologies in advance if I’m poaching on an earlier post.) In some circumstances, “hard” and “arduous” are nearly synonyms, so this conflation seems inevitable. About 800 raw hits. Examples:

Starting a party, creating a vision, attracting people and monies to operate is a harduous task. It is not an endeavour for the weak and unfocused.
http://www.freedominion.ca/phpBB2/viewt … dd23880948

The citizenship process is unfortunately pretty long and harduous. Or luckily, in my case, just long: the harduous part is taken care of by my company.
http://scoobyg.blogspot.com/2006/04/dallas.html

People in really strenuous jobs always seem to age quicker then those in less harduous jobs.
http://leedspeeps.co.uk/ptopic413.php

#2 2007-07-17 21:32:50

klakritz
Eggcornista

Re: "harduous" for "arduous"

The substitution pf ‘artuous’ for ‘arduous’ also occurs and makes a certain sense (Ars longa, vita brevis!)-

Admiral Janeway’s obsession at least came from making an artuous and painful 22 year journey home at the expense of many people she loved …
www.trekweb.com/post.php?aid=40ec5d250a … d3&quote=y

Please extend your feelings towards this brave soul who made the long and artuous journey to the darkside, yet did not return…
forums.extremeoverclocking.com/t110027.html

...Kathryn takes a welcome break from the artuous job of throwing food on the floor.
www.oldshoepress.com/page.cfm?name=Year%20Two

Last edited by klakritz (2007-07-17 21:34:10)

#3 2007-07-18 11:13:12

jorkel
Eggcornista

Pat, I’m actually glad when someone else posts an old eggcorn of mine because it helps to validate it…

HARDuous (arduous) by jorkel Contribute! 0 2006-09-09 09:48:48 by jorkel

And, I’m sure you know I’ve had my own share of posted stuff that other people had already found (including yours).

#4 2007-07-18 16:38:53

patschwieterman
Administrator

Sorry, Jorkel! Had a feeling I’d be apologizing to someone. (Though since our search engine doesn’t always find things—like this one—I think we shouldn’t worry too much about apologies as long as we try to search in advance.)

And posting it anew brought up Ken’s interesting variation, so hey, the more the merrier.

#5 2012-02-24 09:45:20

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

By rights this should go into Joe’s original post, but that would split the variants and it’s hard enough keeping track of things around here. I heard this today then thought harduous would be much better but clearly two others got there before me…

Hey guys, I’m now over 2 months into the arguous process of putting a 454 into my 91 short box.

I think thats a good tactic, its so cheap, people wont bother going thru what I think will be a long and arguous, multi step cancelling process.

No, we just want what was negotiated in a long arguous process where concessions were made on our part to guarentee a meager retirement …

us Canadians are genetically predisposed to bodybuilding, from a very young age we are pitted against nature and survival is an arguous process…

Board footer