Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-07-17 22:18:36

klakritz
Eggcornista

'Imitations of Immortality' for 'Intimations of Immortality'

Another batch of failing term papers for sale! (and the same eggcorn in other, more innocent, contexts):

... examines the meaning of Robert Frost’s poem “Directive” and compares and contrasts the findings with those of Wordsworth’s “Imitations of Immortality’. ...
www.academon.com/lib/essay/immortality.html

Get access to the full term paper on “ode imitations of immortality wordsworth analysis” at essayportal.com
www.24-7termpapers.com/term-papers/3620 … wordsworth

Thank you for visiting prewritten-researchpapers.com for assistance in writing your research paper on “wordsworth ode imitations of immortality,” ...
www.prewritten-researchpapers.com/term- … ality.html

SparkNotes: Wordsworth’s Poetry: Themes, Motifs & Symbols In “Ode: Imitations of Immortality,” the speaker remembers looking at a meadow as a child and imagining it gleaming in “celestial light” (4).
www.sparknotes.com/poetry/wordsworth/themes.html

Are you searching for an essay on childhood and ode to imitations of immortality? essaysoutlet.com is a website that has a wealth of free essay abstracts…
www.essaysoutlet.com/term-papers/923/ch … ality.html

... and a major project “in the works” for many years—a setting of Wordsworth’s “Imitations of Immortality” ode.
www.classicalcdreview.com/schwartz.htm

She admired the elegiac power of William Wordsworth’s “Ode: Imitations of Immortality,” written in grief after his brother John’s drowning.
hanknuwer.com/dotlich.html

2003 Conference Keynote Address
To paraphrase the last line of poet William Wordsworth’s Ode: Imitations of Immortality from Recollections of Childhood , “the simplest flower that blooms …
www.wasbe.org/en/conferences/2003/artic … ote30.html

#2 2007-07-18 14:51:57

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: 'Imitations of Immortality' for 'Intimations of Immortality'

This notion of plagiarized reports has come up a couple of times, and I’ve been wondering about the nature of the mistakes therein. I’ll grant you eggcorn status on your finds, but I was wondering if these errors are ever intentionally placed into the reports! ...And, what would be the motive? Do you suppose mistakes might be added so as to make the report appear less-than-perfect? ...and therefore less suspicious of plagiarism? Or perhaps some mistakes might even be added in order to play a joke on the slacking-off fools who purchase these reports!

I say this because some of the errors seem ironic: as if they were below the intelligence level of the person who constructed the rest of the report. Granted, many eggcorns are simply the domain of the uninformed—no matter how educated they are—but there does seem to be practical limits to this viewpoint.

Last edited by jorkel (2007-07-18 14:55:56)

#3 2007-07-18 16:53:15

patschwieterman
Administrator

It is amazing how often this kind of stuff occurs, but I really don’t think it’s usually intentional or ironic—I’ve just seen it so often in papers I was pretty sure weren’t plagiarized. And Ken’s last example—the keynote address by the president of a professional group at a conference for the World Association for Symphonic Bands and Ensembles (WASBE)—shows that this type of thing turns up even in stuff that someone has probably revised very carefully. For instance, that guy clearly looked up the lines in Wordsworth, and then substituted modern equivalents for two words with old-fashioned meanings in the original (“simplest” for “meanest” and “blooms” for “blows”)—and then he carefully told us this was a paraphrase so we didn’t think he’d made an error in the citation (I looked up the rest of his speech—he got the remainder of the quotation exactly right). But, of course, he did make a slight error in the title. Just goes to show how easy it is to do this. And of course, “Imitations” does make a bit of sense in the context of the poem.

#4 2007-07-18 16:54:47

klakritz
Eggcornista

This one does indeed come up as an intentional usage- in fact there’s even a book of literary parodies of t the same name.

I’m just not sure whether or not the wrongly titled papers are deliberate. But: 1) It seems incredible that anyone would try to sell a book report which got even the title of the book wrong. It’s taking the idea of ‘less than perfect’ pretty far. 2) Wouldn’t putting that wrong name up on the net lessen your chances of getting found by your potential customers?.

#5 2007-07-18 17:08:52

jorkel
Eggcornista

You guys are probably right. But, I just couldn’t stop laughing when I read Ken’s post about the “Tall-Tale Heart.” To me, a student submitting a report with that title just smacks with irony: What better way to potentially draw attention to your own deception than to include the words “tall tale” in the title!

Last edited by jorkel (2007-07-18 17:15:29)

#6 2007-07-18 17:11:26

patschwieterman
Administrator

In some cases, the sellers may actually have programmed the misspelling into their search “hooks” (retailers do that all the time). For instance, I clicked on the “Prewritten” link in Ken’s examples, and brought up citations where the name of the poem was actually spelled correctly despite the misspelling in the search cue. Or it may be a mere coincidence—“imitation” is a common word and may appear elsewhere in the papers in question.

Board footer