Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-07-20 18:37:49

klakritz
Eggcornista

"hay penny' for 'ha'penny' (or 'half penny')

The last posting got me thinking about hay. “Hay penny’ is what an American hears when a Brit says ‘ha’penny.’ Adding to the confusion is the occasional contrast with the ‘wheat penny’ (Lincoln cents minted between 1909 and 1959, which have wheat sheaves in their reverse design). Moreover, straw or hay is readily understood as something that’s of little value. Examples:

However, Plotz (the taxman) gets a wind of the situation and invents taxes so that he can charge Wakko exactly one hay penny, leaving Wakko bankrupt again.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wakko’s_Wish

I’ll give you a hay penny for it. ... Not a wheat penny, a hay penny. They’re really old and were worth 1/2 a cent.
www.accesshiphop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22359

There’s not a hay’penny difference in the black level between the two sets …
www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/printthread.php … e=12&pp=60

And if you explain further that you haven’t got a hay penny, the children throw acid in your face.
www.tremble.com/scribblins/000448.html

I am sure it was Saban’s final call but you know at some point Mularkey put in his 2 cents which is equivalent to a hay penny.
www.stadiumwall.com/lofiversion/index.php/t51983.html

I expect royalties damnit! One half hay penny every hundredth time you use it.
www.evilavatar.com/forums/printthread.p … ge=2&pp=20

I’m going to start reporting my reserves down to the hay-penny.
www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_disc … 777&page=3

Board footer