Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-01-02 01:21:12

klakritz
Eggcornista

'cufflings' for 'cufflinks'

It seems obvious to me that ‘cufflinks’ is a compound formed from ‘cuff’ and ‘links’ but this alternative is very common- over 9,000 ghits. Is it a result of the same noun-forming mechanism that also yields ‘groundlings’ and ‘hirelings?’. Examples:

It’s hard for me to like Van Cliburn after he gave those gold cufflings to Bush.
nicklewis.smartcampaigns.com/van-cliburn-at-the-1st-tchaikovsky-competition

Exporters of sterling silver cufflings, designer cufflings, brass cufflings and surgical steel cufflings.
catalogs.indiamart.com/manufacturers/zippers-fasteners-sliders.html

Opine India offers a superb collection of Cufflings in different metals designed for the wearer.
www.opineindia.org/

They always keep a bottle of Sharfennberger Blanc de Blancs on ice, wear Karl Lagerfeld suits and Louis Del’Olio cufflings.
www.stratsplace.com/rogov/ny_ny.html

For men, narrow trousers with traditional white shirt with cufflings would certainly look great and can boost their confidence.
astrology.findyourfate.com/astrology-clothes.htm

#2 2007-07-21 17:11:02

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: 'cufflings' for 'cufflinks'

I started out today wondering whether anyone ever refers to cuff links as couplings—which is a somewhat functional description of them—but I haven’t located an example of this yet.

Then, I came across Ken’s post while running a search. I guess I should post my other finds (below) as a subset of this topic. In my mind, there are a whole assortment of words that end in -ling which might be links (as well as a whole assortment of links that might be transformed to -lings). I got 300 Google hits for “couplinks.

Examples:

overheating? – HTown DSMI had just put on my new 2g throttle body elbow and custom uicp and i went out for a spin and blew off one of the couplinks. It was hesitating to stay on …
www.htown-dsm.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1900 – 68k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Firehouse Forums – Firefighting Discussion – Engine pressures for …then proceed to count the couplinks until he got to the rig? Yea, leave the pump panel, Many departments don’t man panels and go about their jobs without …
forums.firehouse.com/printthread.php?t=30846&page=2&pp=20 – 26k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Automobile Hose, Tubing, Rubber and Plastics Products – Greater …Hose – Rubber And Plastic; Hydraulic Hose; Hose Couplinks And Adapters; Converter Belting & Accessories; Gaskets & Seals; Floor Matting …
storefront.dexonline.com/Goodyear-Rubber-Products-Inc – 35k – Cached – Similar pages

Xtreme Veedubz :: View topic – LONDONprecautionary measures.. it’s like wearing a condom.. :p lmfao.. hahahah anyways.. yall my couplinks.. some are weaklinks.. but julle is cool. ...
www.veedubz.co.za/xvforum/viewtopic.php … b721170b36 – 73k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Hmmm. Weaklings as weak links? This could go on for a while…

Last edited by jorkel (2007-07-21 17:13:57)

Board footer